Do you hunt near Antelope Causeway?

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by rjefre, Apr 14, 2016.

1. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

If so...
    On December 16, 2015, the Sewer District filed to divert 15 cfs (10,900 acre ft or more) of water from the N.Davis Sewer District Outfall (from the sewer plant by the causeway). That water is currently being used by DWR to maintain and conserve wildlife and bird habitat, for waterfowl propagation, and to provide crucial recreation opportunities for the public.

DWR has a senior water right (11/2/1959) of 25.0 cfs. But, if they divert over half of the water, then the wetlands lying out along the GSL below the outflow will be greatly impacted.

On Tuesday, April 26th, a hearing on this application is scheduled at 10 am in Layton at the Weber Basin Conservancy District Office - 2837 E. Hwy. 193. I will be there, but it would be good to get some input from some waterfowlers that hunt out there. I can pass on your thoughts, or you can join me. Either way, it hurts me to see more water diverted from our wetlands...AGAIN.
    Feel free to PM me with any thoughts you may have, including how often you hunt out there, if the wetlands are suitable for duck hunting, what would be the impact of cutting the flow of water off, etc.
    R. Jefre Hicks

2. wtrdog

wtrdog Senior Refuge Member

Showed up and they'd moved the mtg to SLC. Good way to eliminate feedback!

3. rjefre

So, here is the update. The DWQ was not at the hearing, so I couldn't ask them if the sewer district was complying with water quality standards in their outflow. But several different people spoke up on behalf of protecting the state-owned wetlands that need the outflow water to survive. In the end, they decided to postpone the decision for 30 more days in order to allow the sewer district to provide them with some more info. The Nature Conservancy, the Audubon, the Utah Airboat Association, the UWA, and the League of Women's Voters all spoke on behalf of the wetlands.
    The main statement from the sewer district is that, by Utah law, their outflow isn't considered to be a recognized "beneficial use" of the water (you can blame your local legislator for that), and they want to use a third of the outflow to irrigate some sod, or other crops, or possibly sell the water later to Syracuse or West Point so they can build more subdivisions. I argued that the outflow into our wetlands is the MOST beneficial use of that water, and our Utah State Constitution CLEARLY calls for the state to protect recreational uses and wildlife habitat on state-owned lands. Unfortunately, the state lands folks weren't at the meeting to stand up for our public lands, but I went over to their office afterwards and filled them in and asked why they were not there. They were not made aware of the issue because our state agencies don't communicate with each other. Anyway, that is where we stand right now...This is only one of many fights to be fought to protect our wetlands.
    R

4. wtrdog

wtrdog Senior Refuge Member

RJE, thx for the update. Was wondering what happened.

5. rjefre

I haven't heard any more about it. I'll see if I can find out if they approved the water right application. I am assuming they did, because they nearly always approve of any water application that diverts water away from the Great Salt Lake marshes. The GSL has no water right, it has no water quality rules, it has no support from our state leaders. Sad.
    R