Do you like sauerkraut ?

Lexuss

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here grow and process their own horseradish? Any tips? I read it’s pretty invasive and spreads real bad.
I've heard to grow it in a pot because it does spread and hard to rid of it.

hobbydog

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here grow and process their own horseradish? Any tips? I read it’s pretty invasive and spreads real bad.
It is pretty easy, peal it and cube it up. Chop it in a blender. Add salt and vinegar. Do it in the garage or outside as it is extremely potent when it is fresh ground. It is very easy to grow as it only takes is a piece of root or two to get it started. It is almost invasive after that. It takes a couple of years before a new planting will produce some nice roots. I rotate digging to about every 2-3 years. Once I make a batch I vacuum seal some and freeze it. But it is always best fresh. It can be cut with Mayo, sour cream and goes well on lots of different sandwiches and meats.

Muggs

Refuge Member
Reaction score
It is pretty easy, peal it and cube it up. Chop it in a blender. Add salt and vinegar. Do it in the garage or outside as it is extremely potent when it is fresh ground. It is very easy to grow as it only takes is a piece of root or two to get it started. It is almost invasive after that. It takes a couple of years before a new planting will produce some nice roots. I rotate digging to about every 2-3 years. Once I make a batch I vacuum seal some and freeze it. But it is always best fresh. It can be cut with Mayo, sour cream and goes well on lots of different sandwiches and meats.
Thanks for the insight.

rhpierce

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Love sauerkraut.

Brats, kielbasa, reubens, and the Happy Joe's "Special" pizza from my hometown...canadian bacon and sauerkraut, called a "Bavarian" in some other places. Had some friends in Arkansas look at me like I'd sprouted a third ear, until they went with me to Illinois and the pizza was on the table...and they got the, "there is no way this should taste this good" look on their faces.

Dad used to do pork ribs with sauerkraut, and occasionally stuff ducks/roast them in it, to really break them down and make them tender, especially if you suspected it was going to be tough...

wingmatt

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I love sauerkraut, and ruebens are my favorite sandwich! But alas, I am on a permanent low-sodium diet. I think I will try some sauerkraut by double or triple rinsing with water, which should lower the sodium quite a bit. But it's hard to find low-sodium pastrami for the ruebens.
1650474165731.png

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I love sauerkraut, and ruebens are my favorite sandwich! But alas, I am on a permanent low-sodium diet. I think I will try some sauerkraut by double or triple rinsing with water, which should lower the sodium quite a bit. But it's hard to find low-sodium pastrami for the ruebens. View attachment 338710
I’m usually told to get more salt in my diet.

Latest posts