Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Do you make your dog wait for its food?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Jan 6, 2021.

1. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

Well one thing is for sure, the dog definitely doesn’t think your wife is alpha!

2. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

Like I said...... :yes

3. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

Here’s an example: I’m out in my yard and dog wanders 25 yards away. I call him and he gives me that “yeah, I’m busy” look. Don’t have his e-collar on—bad human! So I take one step in his direction; he’s coming my way. I’ve never beat on him, rarely even used the e-collar, but I have caught him a couple times in puppyhood not coming when called and brought him back. Nothing rough, just walked him to where I wanted him to be by the collar. It’s ingrained in him that when I say “come” I mean it and will enforce it, and now all it takes is MAYBE one step his direction to remind him.

4. Curt Gibson

Curt Gibson Senior Refuge Member

Ive always done this too !!!

5. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My own dog plays dumb on me UNTIL that ecollar is on and then I don't need the collar. Might have to vibrate it or beep to remind him its there.
    Dogs play us and test us constantly.

I think it was bill that told a story about how he told a guy that his dog was just showing off and is about to shaft you good. You gotta watch em always.

6. Vammy

Vammy Elite Refuge Member

Like others, I make my dogs sit until released to eat, and I always go through a door/opening before they do. Also, like others, I have a heck of a time getting Mrs. V and my step-son to uphold the same standards. Dogs figure out quickly who they can run over, and who they can't.

Curt Gibson and BigSkyDuk like this.
  7. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

No...and if I did my dog (and I) wouldn't see it as anything more than a parlor trick like shake or rollover.

I have a high strung, **** and vinegar "alpha" dog by anyone's standards. We established our relationship very early on.....never once had to worry about food aggression or possessiveness with another person or dog. My two year old daughter can take the bowl away from my dog without a thought from any of us.

8. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

I think it is a good idea especially with a highly food motivated dog. Gotta know your pup. I make mine wait a few seconds and practice taking up his bowl regularly. Mine will eat anything at anytime. Have yet to find a vegetable he won’t eat haha. So he is highly food motivated. My vet uses treats to help keep them occupied when giving shots and such. Needless to say if you are feeding mine you could probably cut off his tail and he would not notice. Makes training easier as a puppy in my opinion

9. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Elite Refuge Member

Normally I feed my lab at 5pm. I swear he can tell time better than me. If I am late he just stands and stares at me until I get the message. We play a game where I make him tell me he is hungry, no barking just kind of a growl. He then goes to his place and waits until I tell him ok. I live alone and Deuce and I spend a lot of time together. He can read me better than I can a book. I almost never have to raise my voice, commands are given in a normal speaking voice. At 4yr he has become a real joy to hunt with.

10. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

Nope. I feed "the brown bomber" every day at 7pm. She always wants until I leave the room to start eating.