Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Do you remember??

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by por boy, Feb 26, 2017.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I had Dad's Wizard Powermatic 12 and hunted with it for years. Didn't have a squeeze bulb; the gas tank had a button you pressed with two fingers to prime the thing. Pump it until you smell and see gas running out of it and it started right up.

I had one of those cold hearted winches but mine had a primer bulb. It was a '57 model I believe. As I understand, they were made by Mercury and were comparable to their 15 horse model. More than one cold morning, I would have to take the motor off the boat and set it in the front seat of my car to warm it before it would start. The last year I had it, to keep it running, you'd have to keep squeezing the bulb or the dang thing would die. Many a pucker factor dark thirty river runs.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

Imperial shotgun shells .[​IMG] Mainly 2.75" , and all LEAD. The only decoys we could buy were cheap Italian carry-llites in either paper-mache types or in the "new" plastic model. [​IMG] Shotguns were of the fixed choke variety (maybe the odd poly-choke) and the guns of the day were Remington 870s and 1100's, Winchester Model 12s, Ithaca 37's and a smattering of over unders and side by sides.

Camo was a solid brown khaki canvas with mink oil waterproofing, and the "new" duck hunting camo....in green or brown.
    [​IMG]

The good old days. Oh yeah, and NOBODY looked like this:

[​IMG]

Fowler267 and riverrat47 like this.
  3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

@bang you'r dead, where in the heck did you find that last picture? That's just scary.

4. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

[QUOTE="bang you'r denly 2.75" , and all LEAD.

Camo was a solid brown khaki canvas with mink oil waterproofing, and the "new" duck hunting camo....in green or brown.
    [​IMG]

QUOTE] That camo was more effective than most of the modern stuff.

riverrat47 and Vahunter like this.
  5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Still have one of my old Jon-e warmers, but carry a couple of the Zippo version I've had much better luck with when weather merits them.

6. nobands

nobands Senior Refuge Member

Good memories. Herters, lead , paper mache decoys, 1 camo pattern , rubber waders, the smell of those old handwarmers when you lit them .
    Junior and senior year shotgun was always in my truck parked on school grounds. Hell I could have carried that 1100 to class with me, only question would have been who you hunting with today.
    No bands on a lanyard , but sure had my Jones hat full of drake curls.
    Only way I'd go back to those days though is if the old man was sitting next to me.

riverrat47 and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  7. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

Better mad
    Better made, frankly, than a lot of junk today.

8. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

I got a pair in the 70s that lasted 25-30 years. Got a pair around 2000 not made nearly as well. Haven't seen them in years.

9. Sault Ste. Marie

Sault Ste. Marie Elite Refuge Member

Anybody remember the Knapp Sport Saw or the collapsible rubber Deeks decoys with the steel ring weight? How about the Taykit portable stove? The old canvas vests or hunting coats with rubberized game bags that delaminated and the elastic shell holders that have now all deteriorated?

riverrat47 likes this.
  10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

028-1.JPG

I'll repeat stories that I've heard a thousand times over the last fourteen years...

This guy(Dempsey) and his running buddies Most of who are still at it; Had many stories if no pictures..

From what I'm told, Herter's came out with plastic wads before Winchester did? They would send a guy over to a lead mine in Missouri and buy a ton of #4 shot to reload. The buying group may have been larger then he mentions but he claims that the 2000 lbs of lead was shot up by the end of the season.. Yentzen calls are still the preferred ones as You can see... He had a set of sheep's wool lined hip waders from Spiegal IIRC... He still has the goose down bibs that came from LL Bean. The matching coat died in the 80s when he used it at work. Winchester Model 50 was his gun of choice; Still has it but I can't talk him into getting it out of the gun safe.. He never wants to set up and wait for the ducks... He prefers to sit in the boat in a flooded field and watch what the ducks are doing then go set up there(Donald wakes up in a different world every day.) When they had a 1 mallard limit; he carried 100 shells in with four bandoleers(Two sown together) Pancho Villa style.

They out ran the game wardens on more then one occasion... 40 Mercury's were the motor of choice mounted on 14 foot boats . If ducks rafted up out in the fields then a deer slug skipped on the water "Would get Donald off his ***"!!

They were using a coal bucket full of charcoal one day...They went to heat up a can of beans....When a hen mallard that circled and circled... They finally winged her and were running the boat to catch her when the can of beans(un opened)explodes in the charcoal bucket in the front of the boat!! They forgot to open the top in the heat of the moment and the can was set in the bucket.. Between the beans and the ash, they thought one of the guys had his brains blown out...

riverrat47, AvianQuest and WHUP ! Hen like this.