Does anyone own a BSS 20ga Sporter?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Rogue Hunter, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Rogue Hunter

Rogue Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Was thinking about looking for one. And, was wondering how much it weights.

Thanks,
    Rogue

2. JimG

JimG Elite Refuge Member

I don't know what you mean by "sporter" but I've got a 1984 BSS 20ga, 26" tubes, IC/MOD. Pistol grip. Nice little gun that I wish had 28"tubes. 26" is a little "whippy". Anything 20ga is light.

Jim

3. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

I've got three of them. Luv em.

Got the sporter for my 30" F&M and 26" M&IC guns.
    Got another 26" IC&IC gun that I shoot a lot over decoys.

I like the stright grip enuf that I have the pistols taken off of them.

I do wish they had a F&F gun that they made. I could have choke threaded or added aftermarket, but I've never been as happy with them as I have the OEM product.

Good Luck!

4. Rogue Hunter

The Sporter has a straight (English) stock and hand oiled wood, use it for walking the woods...grouse hunting.

5. Jay Gardner

Jay Gardner Senior Refuge Member

I have a 20 ga. "Sporter" 28" barrels, choked Sk/IC (chokes were opened by Browning and the barrels are correctly marked). My gun was made in 1978 and is in 99% condition. It is one of my favorite guns for grouse/woodcock and is very well balanced, swings smoothly and is an all around joy to carry and shoot. It has been a long time since I put the gun on a scale but I believe that the gun weights about 6.75 lbs.

BSS guns have been criticized for being a little heavy and I have handled 12 ga. BSS guns with 30" barrels that are at least 8 lbs., but my 20 ga. Sporter is just about perfect. As I said, the gun is so well balanced that it does not feel heavy. It is responsive, but not whippy.

One thing I did not do this fall, but wanted to, was to use my BSS when jump shooting ducks off of beaver ponds or when floating down rivers. I imagine the gun will be very effective with FastSteel, Bismiuth or HeviShot.

Good luck in your quest to find one. I have not seen many 20 ga. Sporters for sale and hav seen very few with 28" barrels. Check out gunsamerica.com, Steve Barnett Fine Guns and Game Fair Ltd. I know that there was one listed on one of these sites last week.

Personally, I think they are great guns. They will last a couple of lifetimes, are VERY well built, will shoot just about anything you can feed them, are pretty good looking and will hold their value. I don't think there is a comparable SxS being built today for less than $2,500 that is even close to the quality of a BSS.

6. Walnut

Walnut Elite Refuge Member

7. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

Walnut-
    I don't know how I'll forgive you for posting those urls!! Now I'll just HAVE to go buy one or two of them...
    and then where am I going to find the money for my boat projects!!!
    tsk tsk tsk...

8. Rogue Hunter

That side lock sure would be sweet to have.

Walnut, there was only one Sporter in that group.

Anyone know the weight on the 20ga Sporter?

9. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Check out auctionarms.com also. Might find something there too.

They are sweet little guns.

Doug