California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Dog arthritis

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Michael, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Michael

Michael Elite Refuge Member

giving it to the Brain Trust- my wife’s dog is twelve years old, in great shape, but starting to limp pretty badly due to arthritis in her joints- I searched and couldn’t find the thread I was looking for with suggestions on what to treat her with. ( the dog, not my wife, she’s good)

Any suggestions?

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

CBD oil in the 1 in 20 will help her live pain free !

Red foot and Michael like this.
  3. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

CBD Did nothing for my 9 year old BLF......but she’s been on a drug called Galliprant the last couple months and she’s like a puppy again. Walked 6 miles with her at the lodge yesterday and she was still chipper yesterday evening

callinfowl likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael Elite Refuge Member

cool, we have been doing the CBD, I'm sure it is better for her....I just remember some pill my dad gave our dog when her hips and joints were bugging her, forget what it was.

I will check out the galliprant, thanks!

callinfowl likes this.
  5. DUKHNER

DUKHNER Elite Refuge Member

There’s multiple products on the market. Galliprant, Rimadyl, metacam, Gabapentin,etc....

Most should have liver values checked prior, especially a 12 year old dog.

Good luck

callinfowl likes this.
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

Metacam the generic is Mobic, works amazing, tell your Vet. that you want it in pill form so you can get the scripts filled at any pharmacy.
    ( they will try to talk you out of it by saying the pills are hard on the dogs)
    Nope that isn't true, the pills are hard on the Vet's wallet and that is the only reason they don't offer them to you without being asked for them.
    The pills are very reasonable and I've personally seen it give dogs at least 2-3 more semi pain free years. Same goes with Rimadyl the generic is Novox, it works just as well as the name brand stuff and it's half the cost. The best thing we ever did for our dog was to give it Adequan Canine, if you can find a Vet. that will give you a script for Adequan Equine you'll get more of the meds for your money. It's the same strength just a lot more of the med. Adequan is a wonder drug, everyone that buys a high dollar gun dog should put their dogs through at least one full course when the dog is young to protect them for their lifetime from future injuries. It strengthens joints, tendons and ligaments, it's given to pretty much all the high dollar race horses to protect their investments down the road, the stuff is a wonder drug. It's ain't cheap but either are trips to the ER after a hunting injury.
    Gabapentin is another one that helps them a bunch, talk with your vet about these and see which one they want to try first.

Good luck.
    We literally got 5 more years out our last dog by using these meds.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    mak2782 and Michael like this.
  7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Yes the generic for Metacam in pill form was like $5 at Walmart for 60 day supply versus $100 plus in liquid for 30 days. even a script that you can use online will save you a bunch at places like petsmed will save you money.

callinfowl likes this.
  8. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

Walmart and Costco is the best place to buy Mobic buy far.
    Most dogs will eat the pill in a wad of bread or a slice of cheese, but once they taste mobic, they won't fall for it ever again because it's really biter, so make sure you cover the pill really well from the start.

If your dog won't take pills crush the pill and mix a tea spoon of powdered chicken or beef broth and sprinkle it over their dry food after you moisten it with a raw egg or warm water. I've never met a dog that wouldn't take them that way. :tu

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Haha both my dog and I take a Mobic , we're still ready to go !

10. BullElk07

BullElk07 New Member