dog health ?

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by owendog, Jan 30, 2007.

1. owendog

owendog Refuge Member

My 7 yr old lab has a broken blood vessel in the flap of one of his ear. Vet said its from shaking his head. Its very swollen, filled with blood. Has anybody else experienced this, and what have you done to remedy. Surgery if it dosnt get better in a week, but I heard steroids can help. Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. Mr. Mann

Mr. Mann Elite Refuge Member

My golden has the same thing. He had it once before. I let it and it went away. That ear has some hard spots, Like maybe he was a wrestler?? LOL Now it is on his other ear. I am just going to leave it. JMO

3. owendog

owendog Refuge Member

The vet called it a hematoma sp? Funds are real tight right now, and surgery is expensive. I'd do anything for this dog, but $ouch. If I do let it go will it have long term affects. I'm going try to post a picture of this, its huge!

4. Mr. Mann

Mr. Mann Elite Refuge Member

The first one my dog had was Huge, This one is a bit smaller. IT is insane what they wanted for surgery. Other then the ear having lumps in it he is not effected. The new one seems to be getting smaller IMO Your dogs might be big enough that somehthing needs to be done?? I no vet but My dog will have to tough it out.

5. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

Seem's to me that they should be able to drain it. My lab had a big puss and blood sack on it's neck and the vet lanced it and drained it and told me to put hot compresses on it to help draw out the rest and put him on antibiotics to keep infection away.

6. birdiii

birdiii Senior Refuge Member

Picture please and I show it to our Vet. She should have a suggestion...

7. Chenhyperborea

Chenhyperborea Elite Refuge Member

If it is a Hematoma - the Vet should be able to remedy the problem without surgical intervention. :confused:

8. creekwalker

creekwalker Senior Refuge Member

Get another opinion. Where do you live in Wisconsin? Sometimes vets don't give you all the options for fixing the problem at hand. I would think that the ear could be drained or something other than surgery.

Post up where you live and I'm sure you will get another vet option or two you can try. When you get other vets in your area. I would recommend calling to see what the vet has to say over the phone before you have to spend $25 for an office visit.

9. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

Hematoma's will dry up and reabsorb if you leave them alone.

Yes, the shaking will make you nervous, so wrap it up with vetwarp. NO, the dog is NOT a terrorist...

Don't open it. Don't spend $500 having the thing opened, drained and recovered, and infected and treated and and and and.