Don Cherry fired?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by KENNEDY63, Nov 13, 2019.

1. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

What the heck is going on up there?

Political Correctness Claims a Tough Guy

Hockey legend Don Cherry is fired, and Canadian elites cheer.

By Elliot Kaufman
    Nov. 12, 2019 6:51 pm ET

My childhood friends in Canada couldn’t believe my family still had a VCR. I blamed my “old-fashioned” parents, but in fact I needed it to watch Don Cherry’s “Rock’em Sock’em Hockey” highlight tapes.

The legendary commentator and former Boston Bruins coach begins one 1998 film at center ice in Toronto’s old Maple Leaf Gardens. “Maj. Conn Smythe built this in the Depression,” Mr. Cherry says. “And you know what Mr. Smythe said? ‘If you can’t beat ’em in the alleys, you won’t beat ’em on the ice.’ And he was right!” Cue highlights of bone-crushing hits.

But then comes a twist—one that helps explain why Mr. Cherry, often called “Grapes,” has been a Canadian icon for decades. “You know, when I’m talking about tough guys,” Mr. Cherry explains, “I’m talking about guys who go into the corners first”—that is, the guys getting creamed, not the ones doing the creaming. Nobly digging the puck out for their teams, “they’re the guys that pay the price.”

Now Grapes, 85, is paying. On Saturday, his last TV segment before Remembrance Day, Mr. Cherry vented that, unlike in Canada’s small towns, few people in downtown Toronto and his suburb of Mississauga (both home to large immigrant populations) wear commemorative red poppies.

That’s probably accurate. But he went further: “You people that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life. You love our milk and honey. At least you can pay a couple of bucks for poppies.” Canada’s fallen soldiers, he said, “paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys paid the biggest price.”

Sportsnet, his employer, called this “discriminatory.” All the beautiful people agreed. Peter Mansbridge, dean of Canadian newscasters and a pyromaniac in a field of straw men, took to print to scold Mr. Cherry that not all Canadian veterans are white.

Mr. Cherry’s fate was sealed. He was unceremoniously fired Monday, on Remembrance Day, after more than three decades at the hit TV series “Hockey Night in Canada.” “No problem,” says Grapes. “I know what I said and I meant it. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honor our fallen soldiers.”

“Don Cherry’s firing is a good day for hockey, and Canada,” the Toronto Star editorialized. “Rock-’em-sock-’em hockey was just the most visible symbol of a kind of Canada that is fast disappearing.” This was “a more rural, more traditional Canada, one in which . . . ‘old stock Canadians’ held sway. One, indeed, where lots more people wore poppies around Nov. 11.” This concedes Mr. Cherry’s point, but that’s easy to miss while gleefully claiming a scalp.

Mr. Cherry described his politics in a 1990 interview as “Canada first and Canada only,” calling himself a nationalist. “Listen, you kid,” he said on “Coach’s Corner” long ago, “don’t get caught in the Canadian syndrome, where if it’s Canadian it’s got to be bad. We’re the best.” He insisted that toughness and willingness to sacrifice, often measured roughly by a hockey team’s ratio of Canadians to Swedes, are the keys to winning.

The Toronto Star cringes, but as Mr. Cherry explained three decades ago, “the people that drink the beer agree with me.” There’s still truth to that, but beer sales have been falling for years.

Mr. Kaufman is an assistant editorial features editor at the Journal.

2. grande long

grande long Senior Refuge Member

All the good old boys go out the same way telling it like it was/is.god bless him.

DTHUR and KENNEDY63 like this.
  3. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Just pure stupidity. Don Cherry is a freaking icon. He should be celebrated instead he gets fired. Messed up world we live in.

DTHUR and KENNEDY63 like this.
  4. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I love Canada, but it makes me shake my head sometimes. You get what you allow.

Jay Mo 37 and KENNEDY63 like this.
  5. whistlerwhopper

whistlerwhopper Refuge Member

Don speaks for most of Canada, just not the "beautiful", politically correct people of the major cities (the self-appointed elitists). Believe me, this is not going over well in rural Ontario. The liberals are very open-minded and accepting, as long as you don't actually contradict them , and speak the truth. They can re-elect ,and overlook a blackface-wearing Prime Minister who's tied up in constant scandals, but go hard to get an 85 year old legend fired for being patriotic and supporting the troops.

KENNEDY63 likes this.
  6. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

There has been quite the uproar over this. Many people are fed up with the extreme political correctness this has taken. If you want to see something really stupid, have a look at this,

Amazing how stupid this woman is, and yet she gets a bunch of applause.

Jay Mo 37 and KENNEDY63 like this.
  7. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Good to know that the "States" have not cornered the market on liberal buffoonery. Goodness gracious that woman is twit.

Jay Mo 37 likes this.
  8. YanktonSquid

YanktonSquid Senior Refuge Member

I went to college in northern Minnesota and some of our most fun nights was sitting around, drinking beer and watching Hockey Night in Canada on CBC. This is a damn shame.

Jay Mo 37 likes this.
  9. Jay Mo 37

Jay Mo 37 Refuge Member

We have a similar show down here in the States, called “the View” with the same commentary... If you don’t agree with a Liberal they call you names (ie; racist, bigot, male chauvinist, privileged, etc)...

10. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Yes, they are not very open minded, if you don't fit into their strict confines of what is appropriate you are a monster.

Jay Mo 37 likes this.