Donating to a food bank

Discussion in 'Iowa Flyway Forum' started by qac, Apr 24, 2012.

1. qac

qac Refuge Member

I have a question, has anyone ever donated waterfowl to a local food bank here in Iowa? I would be interested in finding out if it's possible to donate processed goose meat.

I have heard that some folks donate there geese ( snow geese ) to food banks and was wondering if anyone had any info on what it takes to make this happen.

I have donated several deer to the HUSH program over the years, I think it is an excellent program for both hunters and those in need.

Qac

2. puntgunner

puntgunner Senior Refuge Member

Not here in NW IA, they will only take meat from a FEDERALLY inspected facility and will only take venison from the HUSH program. Tried to donate half of one of my steers to them, but they wouldn't take it because it was from a state inspected locker.

3. feathhd

feathhd Elite Refuge Member

Well, I live in Sioux City Iowa and have been donating my geese to the Homeless Shelter Food Kitchen. Been doing it for years!

Great to see you doing this brother.

4. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

I volunteer at Harvest Hope Food Bank every week and we would be pleased to have any donations. Look up Hunters For The Hungry... there are plenty of people that would cherish a gift of food.

5. qac

qac Refuge Member

Bill,
    So how do you do that? Do you have it processed through a local locker? If so, how? Ground for burger, made into bologna, salami? Do you donate the breast meat only or the whole bird? I would like to understand what it takes from other areas so when I approach our local food shelter I can offer other options if they have concerns.

Thanks Qac

6. qac

qac Refuge Member

Thanks for you reply, I looked up Hunters for the Hungry and there was nothing accepted in Iowa. I will keep trying.

Qac

7. feathhd

feathhd Elite Refuge Member

I breast out about 90% of the birds and clean them off and put them in plastic bags. About 4 per bag!

The other 10% I take down to the picker and have them cleaned just like a store bought bird and put in plastic wrap. It cost me about $6 bucks a bird and I bring them in the 2 weeks leading up to Thanksgiving & Christmas. In Total I givem them about 130 to 150 birds a year! Depends on how well the Spring Snow Goose season is to.

They have slicer's and meat grinders there so they can make whatever they want out of the geese. Stew, hamburger, tacos ,Lasagna,meatloaf etc.

8. puntgunner

puntgunner Senior Refuge Member

Not if they get any Federal funding, at least not anymore. Makes no sense to me, they should be glad to get fresh meat protein anytime, but supposedly they can't take it. How's that old saying go? "beggars can't be choosers."