Don't know what happened

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by GUNNERX2, Jan 16, 2021.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Went hunting yesterday morning and had a malfunction of some sort on the first ducks of the morning. When I pulled the trigger, nothing happened. I had cleaned the gun the night before and nothing seemed out of place. I had issues in the past with Federal shells but none since I had replaced all the springs. I did have a Federal in the chamber. I was able to rack the gun, eject the shell in the chamber and kill the pair of greenheads. The gun worked just fine after that, no malfunctions. Thinking back, I'm quite sure when I pulled the trigger, the firing pin did not drop but the gun was in full battery. The ejected shell had no light strike. I'm still scratching my head. The gun is a SuperX2.

2. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

No idea how the trigger mechanism for a sx2 works, but I will say that in several shotguns and pistols that I've taken apart, the trigger mechanism can get messed up by moving a bar here or there. Basically once I put the trigger back in any gun I don't trust it until I've cycled the action a few times and actually dry fired and pulled the trigger. Did you cycle and then dry fire and pull the trigger and see that the pin dropped when you put it back together?

I know on my Maxis which I believe has the same set up, it's possible for me to flip something like a toggle bar on the action, I mean trigger group, it doesn't actually fire until I reset everything and dry fire. I expect that's probably what happened to you. Should be fine once it is cycled once.

Ratdaddy likes this.
  3. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

If you didn't hear the firing pin discharge as you stated no primer strike then the bolt was not completely in battery. Some times temperature related, a solution push the shell into the chamber, hold the gun down and release the bolt and be sure it slams home. Lastly push on the bolt handle hard with your first.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

With my Maxus having a Cam / Cocking bolt with no springs to activate it , other than the little return spring on the firing pin itself !
    Surely the Trigger assembly wasn't fully cocked and in battery ? There's really not much to go wrong with these Maxus and they're sop easy to clean !

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I have an SX3 and even with the bolt 1/2" out of battery, pulling the trigger will trip the hammer and the hammer will hit the firing pin.
    However, the firing pin will not hit the primer.
    If nothing, and you really mean nothing, happened....I'd say your safety was just barely on or maybe you flinched? Trapshooters are often stuck with this affliction....you can't pull the trigger when the time comes. :l

6. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

“Browning/Winchester Click?” Here we go....:eek: ;) :l

7. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My gun "clicked" once or twice in ten years.

Apparently you have to actually put shells in or it won't work.
    The one that stung was having two in magazine with an empty chamber. Always look with your eyeballs.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

It's happened to all of us, aunt batty, and will happen....to all of us....again. Of that I am certain.

9. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

The SuperX 2 has been problematic with light primer strikes on several guns that I'm aware of. Has happened with the 4 people I know that own them.

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I had that happen a few weeks ago with Federal Blue Box shells. Click, primer had a solid healthy dimple. Tried again,boomski. Other shells fired fine after that. Because of the heavy dimple, I believe it was the shell, not the gun.

OneShotBandit likes this.