Dove hunt opens on the 2nd

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by skybusterbob, Aug 28, 2013.

1. bubba41

bubba41 Elite Refuge Member

:cry:cry:cry

2. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

Are you all sure that the reason is 'the church' and not some other reason? After all, 'the church' hasn't oppressed all you poor souls for any other hunt or fishing that can take place on Sunday. Maybe the DWR/Wildlife Board has a reason other than someone's bishop or the 1st Presidency calling to complain? Just maybe?

I always chuckle when people complain about 'the church' and its influence (or over-influence, as is often alleged). Time for all you boys to visit somewhere in the Bible Belt and compare it to here. Either that, or get a clue.

3. mudderfodder

mudderfodder Senior Refuge Member

As a semi-religious person (I occasionally fish or hunt on Sunday) I would have understood if the season had started on the 1st. That's the traditional start date. I would like to think that other religious people would also be understanding, but I don't know. I feel like I'm a bit out of touch. If the duck hunt started on Sunday I would be pretty ticked but I'm a firm believer in separation of church and state and I would swallow the pill. I certainly wouldn't be protesting in any form. C'est la vie.

Having said that, if you were in the position of State officials do you think you would try to be sensitive to all of your constituents and try to give as many people as possible the best experience possible? Is it about religion or is it about being sensitive to the practices of all hunters. In the grand scheme of things is one day a huge deal? Is one day a reasonable consideration for hunters? I understand the frustration of people in this State and the fact that religious influence is so pervasive. I don't like it either. But this one? I don't know. Us semi-religious people are actually fairly decent once you get to know us, and as our friends, maybe you would be happy for us knowing that our elected and appointed officials are sensitive to their constituents, within reason.

4. skybusterbob

skybusterbob Senior Refuge Member

I can't think of another reason why it wouldn't start on the first like the rest of the states in the region. Can you give me one reason that it opens on the second other than religion being involved in the politics? It sure has opened up every other day of the week.

5. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

That's a better question for the Wildlife Board. On another forum there was one very blatantly anti-LDS person that went as far as to say that in Utah religion is obviously more important than education since the state is making dads take their kids out of school for the opener. I'm not aware of any schools open on Labor Day.....you? Just one example of the ridiculous turns these conversations take when people get hot and bothered and lose their ability to think without emotion. This is a holiday weekend. There will never be a Sept 1st that is a Sunday where Sept 2nd isn't Labor Day. Maybe that has something to do with it? DWR/Wildlife Board sees the potential $$$ implications? Again, you should ask them.

Like I said, you boys need to venture out a little more if you think you have it bad here! And if its too much for you here, there is always California. I'm sure they won't force anything unwanted on you out there.

6. skybusterbob

skybusterbob Senior Refuge Member

It is pretty obvious the state law that no hunts can start on Sunday is based on church influence. It has nothing to do with labor day.

7. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

I've haven't hunted Doves in years and I more than likely wont hunt them again. So it doesn't matter to me what day it opens. But I always thought it was stupid opening on the Sept 1st. Why not just open it on the first Saturday following the 1st of Sept. It makes more sense having it open on a weekend when most people are off work and kids are out of school.

8. mojo1

mojo1 Elite Refuge Member

I always chuckle when folks want to talk about how bad the rules are in the bible belt.

I grew up and now again live in the "Bible Belt" and yet I find myself able to go chase doves in the morning as well as hunt any other day of the week. Most of the Sunday hunting laws are over on or by the east coast, for the most part in the south, we praise God while passing the shells!!!

We have tons of birds here right now. I'm planning on hitting a little pond on our new property about noontime, they seem to cover it and the surrounding area up midday.

9. Raininfeathers

Raininfeathers Senior Refuge Member

Either way for the most part the rules are more strict:reader

10. donk

donk Senior Refuge Member

Maybe with all the Obama. Excuse me I mean federal and state cuts Obama excuse me again they don't want to pay the overtime. Just my 2 cents that's all I can give thanks to Obama sorry once again.lol.