Doves

Discussion in 'Mississippi Flyway Forum' started by duck dawg, Aug 28, 2019.

1. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

Y'all seeing any birds in your area? We have a few birds but the opener doesn't look to be a barn burner by any means. Still looking forward to getting out with the black dog.

2. booger

booger Elite Refuge Member

I scouted some areas in east central Mississippi and did not see anything promising. One area had a poor sunflower crop, so nothing to eat there. Some prepared fields in my circle of friends were prepared way too late in my opinion and I'm not seeing anything there. Doesn't look good, however, the sportsman is eternally optimistic, so maybe my phone will ring on a plan "b-c-d-e-f".

2:00 on Sunday has pizzed some people off. I have an invite for the following Saturday on a place that will have their opener, that morning. I have heard of others doing that as well.

Good luck to you and everyone.

duck dawg likes this.
  3. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

I'm a bit further south down the river than you( Southeast Louisiana) but I'm seeing more doves than last year. It appears the white winged has expanded it's range because I'm seeing almost as many of them as mourning doves in my area.

4. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

Our field did not fare too well yesterday. Only killed 2 and I was high man of the field lol.

5. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

Same here. We got out and worked the pup, but didn't set any records. It was enough for him though; he just turned 1, so he was frazzled by the end of the hunt with other people shooting, other dogs, and the heat. Monday morning he did a lot better, and even more so Monday afternoon. But again, it was nothing to brag about, but it was good to get out and clear the cobwebs.

duck dawg likes this.