dry eye

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by cam, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

That's what I thought my problem was too. Went to the doc, she said that's dry eye! I said wait, they keep tearing up, especially in the wind. Yep, that's dry eye. I figured it was a plugged tearduct. Nope, they both worked fine. It's dry eye.

If I understood correctly, your eye isn't producing enough oil, so it dries and calls for more tears? I dont know.
    She gave me some eye drops that are pretty helpful (systane). And weird, it's just my left eye.

I'll see her again later this month.

2. Anatidae

Anatidae Senior Refuge Member

Thanks. Nice to know what my problem is (or one of them, at least).

3. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Those drops are what I used as well. I used the Ultra drops.:tu

4. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

It can go either way, it doesn't make any sense at all calling watery eyes dry eye, but that is one of the symptoms that some people may get with D.E.

5. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

Just two months ago I went into doc complaining of dry eyes. He said I had moderate meibomian gland dysfunction. Supposedly its a factor in a majority of dry eye cases. He told me to use a sock filled with rice, heat it in the microwave and hold to eyes once a day, then gently press the eyelids. Also direct hot water in shower on eye lids. Helped me a bunch.

Evidently you have ~30 glands each in the upper and lower eyelids that exude oil onto the surface of the eye. The oil prevents the tears from evaporating quickly. These glands can get plugged by thickened waxy oil. Search on youtube for "meibomian gland expression" to see it in action! (after dinner)

6. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

It has been shown that over 300 mg of F S O increases the chance of Prostate cancer about 37%.
    Be very careful about how much you take.

7. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

I have extremely sensitive eyes and like others have mentioned, the Systane drops are great for dryness. Where I live, I’m surrounded by vineyards and during certain times of the year there can be so much sulfur in the air around here that by the end of the day, your eyes feel like you’ve been swimming in a heavily chlorinated pool all day. Systane also makes an ointment that I like to use at bedtime when they are sulfuring heavy in the vineyards. The ointments work great, but as mentioned by others, they will blur your vision, so best to use at bedtime only.

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

My wife had thyroid cancers removed from each side. in the early 90's. Th surgeries tipped the tear ducts and they were not functioning correctly. Last year a doc corrected them

callinfowl likes this.
  9. twall

twall Senior Refuge Member

My wife suffers with dry eyes. She used Systane for years. She now prefers Refresh. When t gets really bad she will use Refresh with Flax Seed oil.

Tom

10. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

already had that so I should probably stay away from that