Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

DSD Ring Base Storage

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Peakebrook, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Peakebrook

Peakebrook Senior Refuge Member

What are you guys doing to store the ring bases so they don't become an entangled mess when storing and transporting?

2. Rick Egner

Rick Egner Senior Refuge Member

I've been fighting this for years! I too am open to a better idea but right now I've got 8 dozen stacked in a plastic 55 gallon drum, some up,some down that I roll out of the trailer. Mine are TF and I ended up cutting all the hooks off the stand so they move more in the wind but ultimately made them easier to store. Would love some trick idea on hanging them!

Peakebrook likes this.
  3. Downwind

Downwind Elite Refuge Member

Ring bases. Whenever possible I use old aluminum arrow shafts for stakes. Only used the ring bases on ice or frozen ground.

Those ring bases are "Chinese ring torture"

Peakebrook likes this.
  4. Peakebrook

Peakebrook Senior Refuge Member

Chinese ring puzzle....what I was thinking, but could not remember the name. Not what I want to be doing early in the morning standing in a corn field.

5. Rilez

Rilez Refuge Member

I don't know how many you have, but we have 3 dozen ring bases...We have 2 screws on the floor that sit just on the inside of the rings...then they all nicely stack on top of each other...we just place the bases so the stake portion kind of works like a spiral staircase and they sit next to each other in a spiral pattern if looking from above...Hopefully that visual makes sense

6. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

20201006_082210.jpg
    It isn't perfect but it holds a dozen stakes. Its a collapsible backpacking bucket/sink by Seattle Sports.

7. Rilez

Rilez Refuge Member

Hey, there ya go...that's exactly how I stack mine, I just use screws on the floor to hold them in place rather than the bucket / sink...perfect

8. Lpeacock

Lpeacock Refuge Member

I use 5 gallon buckets (with some success, some misery if we don't do a good job storing them) , but love the idea of a collapsible one

9. redjones

redjones Elite Refuge Member

I have 5 doz. ring bases that are sitting in a big cardboard box,they are the biggest pain in the rump ever.
    They weigh a ton and are a tangled mess and take up lots of space,if I'm only putting out a couple of doz then I'll use the bases,if I'm putting out all of them then I use metal stakes,even if the ground is frozen.
    I have 3 or 4 three inch pipe nipples that I put T's on and use them to push the stake thru the frozen top layer of ground into the softer dirt underneath,saves your hands (Palms).
    Also wished Smiths had a little bigger hole to start the stakes/bases it can get annoying at times getting them started.
    But I guess my storage suggestion is to not use them unless you have to.lol

Greg

10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

The best way is to keep them in smaller bundles.