When the new DSD snow goose decoy was released, my initial thoughts were that it was an incredibly realistic looking decoy. Ahead of anything on the market to date. No doubt it would attract hunters. It certainly did me. I am unapologetic that I prefer full-bodies. And for me, the more realistic the better. But the cost versus other full-bodies certainly gave me pause. As much as I may prefer looking at a spread of the DSD’s over my currently used GHG’s, the real question I was asking myself was, is the added realism of the DSD significant enough to improve decoying snows. I have always made my choice of equipment – especially for hunting snows – based on what I believe is the best option for fooling them. Initially I couldn’t convince myself that the new DSD was worth the added cost. Eventually I decided that I had to know and ordered a quantity that I believed would be enough to make that judgement. I ordered 250, about 1/3 blues. So here are my thoughts on the decoy itself: The pictures in the DSD advertising are accurate. They look as good in hand as in the company pictures. I have to say that the photos I took are with my camera phone and a little flat. Especially in wider angle shots of the decoy spread. I took some comparison pictures with the DSD, GHG, and Avian-X below. In size they are between the GHG and the Avian, and I would say in between with regard to weight as well. From any angle, they just look more like a live goose in posture and proportion. Some may argue whether that added level of realism is required. The argument being that when they are that close, you should be shooting. I have my own personal opinions about that, but I am not here to debate that now. The decoy is well made and seems very durable. It’s the plastic with a little flex many are using these days. The paint adhesion is good. Scuff resistance seems really good on the white snows, and ok on the blues but not bullet proof. I think the darker colors are just more prone to showing scuffing. That’s not to say it scratches off easily. The paint placement and detailing is very accurate and consistent on every decoy. The bills alone have two or three colors on them. I will say though that this is one of the areas I repainted. Most may not care about this but it’s one of my pet peeves. I have repainted the legs and bills on almost every manufactured snow goose decoy I have ever bought. And the DSD is no exception. Nobody can seem to get this color correct. The picture shows the difference, the brighter red being the paint as it comes on the decoy. The elastic cord that holds the legs on and allows them to fold is substantial and far superior to that thin elastic string on the GHG’s that tends to break. Other than the incredible realism of this decoy, what I love the most, and really sells it for me, is the cone/ stake design. Though it’s the cone design that makes it. On almost every other decoy, you have to search and feel for the stake hole opening. The DSD opening is large and it’s amazing how easy it is to place the decoy on the stake, and surprising how much of a time saver this is! And here’s is one of those things you only come to appreciate after using the decoy. The way it stays on the stake! The spread we are running is a permanent water/field spread. They are set very tight. With almost every flock we bust several out of, the two or three dogs retrieving birds are roaring through, over and crashing into decoys. I have to reset four or five GHG’s with almost every salvo as they get knocked off the stake. And that tail on the stake of the GHG routinely gets stuck between the cone and the body. (I hate the GHG cone/stake design)! Not once was a DSD knocked off it’s stake. And probably more birds hit in them than the other decoys. And the ease with which they come off the stake when picking up is equally efficient. If you were hunting a muddy field, it’s easy to gather a dozen decoys right off the stake by the tail loops, and carry them to a bag without them ever touching the ground. Is there anything negative that I found? Yes. I pre-ordered the decoys and according to DSD’s schedule I was anticipating having them to try in Canada in October. They were delayed due to a QC issue with the cone design. I applaud them for holding off until the decoy was just the way they wanted it. And they kept me informed of the fix and new schedule, even calling. I received them in January, in time for the Spring CO. I like the stake cap design (plastic on top of the fiberglass), but the plastic it’s made of is too brittle. Three or four of the caps were broken off the stake as they came out of the box. Out of the first ten stakes I set in the ground, two more caps broke before I changed how I set them. Granted, there was a thin layer of frozen ground and I had to use a hard rubber mallet to pound them in, but this is pretty common to setting snow goose spreads in the mid-continent. And I was by no means wailing on them as I have with GHG stakes without breaking them. I spoke with DSD about this and they are aware of the issue and state they will be correcting the problem including replacing mine. You can’t ask for more than that. I will say that DSD’s level of customer service is top notch. If something is wrong, they want to make it right!. Not surprisingly, they truly want to put out the highest quality product! And they listen. I questioned the paint color of the bill and feet and they acknowledged my opinion . Sounds like it will be adjusted as well in the future. Continued.