Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

DSD Snows & Blues

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Kazzy8, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Kazzy8

Kazzy8 Senior Refuge Member

Well what does everyone think? Game changer? No way? They are slightly more expensive than Avian X & GHG (especially after volume discounts) but also better sculpture and I believe they will nail the paint & "finish". I am curious to see if guys can get away with fewer, ultra quality decoys - I know it has worked for me with Canadas, ducks and specs, maybe snows maybe not?? In some places, like Oregon we have growing Snow goose populations but we can't use E-callers or electric decoys. Wind makes socks move but also creats loud sound that 6 guys on mouth calls can't cover up. Silos have no motion. To me an ultra quality FB with good motion could be the ticket? I've seen snows land with 150 other live snows and I know there are guys who decoy birds over 100 or so stuffers... I am hopeful. Also, before a ton of random questions or thoughts go to the website and read "a letter from Dave" - will probably answer alot of questions.
    https://www.davesmithdecoys.com/shop/decoys/goose-decoys/snow-geese/
    upload_2019-6-20_9-16-6.png

2. hunting1

hunting1 Senior Refuge Member

Affordable is relative I guess. Still way out of my price range with a dozen of mine costing what one of his does

3. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

I’d like to see pictures of the other blue poses besides the upright. If I’m not mistaken they are being made in China. My main concern would be when they will actually be available. That boat from China can move real slow.

4. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Obviously a beautiful decoy! Love the looks of the stake system and legs! Most of my Canada decoys are DSD honkers, so I believe in realism and I am a DSD fan. I also prefer full-bodies for sob's and the realism they present. At least in a semi-permanent spread. I believe that on any given day a realistic decoy has only a slight advantage over, say, a sock decoy. But I believe the realism that kills is related more to decoy body posture and color. Several of the factory decoy makers have finally got the body shape and posture down pretty well. I repaint every factory decoy I buy to my liking. DSD has nailed both. First factory decoy I have seen that I would not want to touch the paint on! But I don't believe the added realism is enough for me to pay what is actually much more than GHG sob's. In fact, twice as much as what I have paid.

I hunted with a guy that had nearly 200 snow/blue mounts. And they looked pretty good. The results were similar to what I have routinely seen hunting snows. No matter how realistic the individual decoy - even a good mount, you can't mimic the motion. Not even with the best wobble a stake can offer. Not with a flyer, not with a rotary. While even small, real flocks will pull birds into them time after time like a magnet, hunting over decoys is still limited to putting forth our best and hoping it's the day they do it right.

I would pay a little premium just to look at a spread of these. But not even close to double. And I am not at all convinced the cost benefit analysis will pay off with more snows in the bag. Not in our flyway anyway. Not to mention, have you ever seen how fast realism goes out the window after after an Arkansas rice field hunt, or the Missouri River bottom mud has had its way with your spread.

hunting1 and gossegetter33 like this.
  5. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

to me feeding snows look like white maggots crawling and jumping over each other. I've yet to figure a way to mimic that.

6. Scal les

Scal les Refuge Member

To expensive for snows,it numbers know days ,if your in the midwest e-caller socks work good ,if you put out a landing zone add a 1000 dave smith

7. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Elite Refuge Member

8. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

SLightly more expensive or holy crap expensive more!!! Hunted with a FB spread, pain in the butt to store, put out, move, pick up, did I say store.

I hunted over 800 FB's. Do the math on DSD's. That would be two - 2000 bird spreads, rotors, callers, blinds/boards.....

Not worth it in my eyes!!!

9. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Can't afford them but if I could I would buy them in a heartbeat. Best looking snow decoy I've ever seen. Only stuffers would be better.

10. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Elite Refuge Member

Unfortunately not, sounds like they our really trying to keep qc in check though. We shall see