Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

DSD Snows & Blues

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Kazzy8, Jun 20, 2019.

1. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Elite Refuge Member

Bummer for sure i bet qc will fair at best

2. Kazzy8

Kazzy8 Senior Refuge Member

False. I know this for a fact. You'll see.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  3. slucrew1

slucrew1 Senior Refuge Member

Justin, are they soft plastic?

4. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Elite Refuge Member

I have had dave smiths since 2005 nothing else comes close. I hope you are right

5. Kazzy8

Kazzy8 Senior Refuge Member

Soft-ish. Think EVA.

slucrew1 likes this.
  6. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

There's plenty of good product coming out of China and has been for awhile.

7. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

I agree that they look great... to the human eye! And that look is designed to convince guys to mortgage the house, kids and dog, wait, not the dog... On the belief that they surely will kill more geese, "Because look how great our decoys look"!!! Reality is, there will be few times were a decoy of that magnitude/price will make it even close to being worth the investment. There are just to many variables when it comes to decoying snow geese. I think the best bet for a decoy of that caliber and price to be effective would be on a permanent spread, likely in a pasture. I say pasture because those decoys would really stand out in that setting. Put them in corn and I think it is tougher for birds to pick up the fine details of the decoy. I may be over thinking it, but I would find something else to spend my money on.

8. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Agree with Wapiti, when hunting a small spread details of the decoy probably matter a bit more but the larger spreads detail probably wont make a bit of difference.

We hunted over a spread here in California for years that had a large pct of foamers from the Decoy Factory. No feather detail except the tail and they were painted with Behr House paint, we killed 1000s over them.

I dont understand the mindset of snow goose decoy mfgs

9. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

It'll be a game-changer for the ego driven in the bar scene but will make no difference in the field! By the time a snow goose gets close enough to tell the difference between an avian X and A ghg and a Dave Smith he's already dead or in all reality probably straightened up and said screw that!

10. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Senior Refuge Member

Agree with Dean and the others...OP mentioned comparable prices, DSD has a 10-pack (still yet to figure out why these are a thing - easier to count in volume?) of snows listed at $369, whereas Rogers has Avians listed right now for $239, before considering any volume discounts on either that is a $130 difference per 10, or $1,300 for every 100 decoys.

The financial side of me is cringing right now - it is just foolish to think paying that much more over what is on the market is going to make that significant a difference. Especially when from what I can tell most of the guys who care that much about paint color are already buying and repainting their own for much cheaper.

Snow goose mania has about hit an apex.

KID CREOLE likes this.