DSD versus Avian X turkey decoys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I admit I am early...spring turkey is months away but figure I would post this. I bought a DSD upright hen three seasons ago and it is a fine product! Finally scored last season. I was thinking of adding either another DSD hen decoy, the "leading hen" model, or the Avian X hen decoy...both have great detail and paint- the Avian is collapsible which is good from a packing perspective but several reviews mentioned leaking air. The DSD is pricier but I know that. Should I opt for another combo, say adding a jake decoy instead of another hen? I welcome any suggestions or reviews on either.

2. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

Pick up the DSD feeding hen, also get the DSD jake. I've used both Avian x and DSD.
    I get better results with DSD. Still have 2 Avian x feeder hens for when i want to set up a flock when the time of the season/year is right. Works well for fall season too.
    I sold off the A-X jake and lookout. I kept the A-X breeder for certain setups. As for transporting, i use the "puddler" duck decoy bag, smaller, holds 3-4 turkey decs and a chair just fine.

3. Birdcrazy

Forgot to mention....i also run the "boss hen" from Deception Outdoors. Awesome decoy, right up there with DSD. ( check out their website )
    Just like duck and goose hunting, one can never have too many decoys for different situations!!

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I've got no experience with the DSDs (but they are impressive looking dekes). As for the Avian-Xs, I've owned three, now. My favorite of the three, is the one we named "the broke-nervous jake". It was the original body pose of the Avian-X jake decoy. He has his head slumped back, like he just realized he's in big trouble. Avian-X fixed an issue they had with the stake hole on the early ones, by adding a screw. The hole would separate, and allow air to leak out. The leaking air also doesn't really affect anything, as the deke stays plump. What WAS affected on mine (both my original hen and original jake), was that once that stake hole came undone, the deke wouldn't stand up correctly. You kinda had to prop it up. The hen was broken by three jakes that I didn't want to shoot. They beat the tar out of her, trying to gang rape her. She was fixable with gorilla glue, and is still used today (I don't recall when I bought them, but it was the first year they came out). The jake broke on a trip and was unfixable, and all they had in stock was the other body pose. I do not like the newer body pose on the jake. They still sell the old one though.

I know it's personal preference, but if you are hunting public land, I would not use a jake. I do not. It only takes one idiot thinking your ultra-realistic deke is a real bird, to end up with shot in your face. I like a feeding hen and an upright hen for public lands. I keep the jakes in the bag until I hunt private places.

5. Birdcrazy

I agree with Steven on the jake vs public ground.... have heard of way to many horror stories of dipsh!t's pulling the trigger on both Tom and jake decoys.
    I've even called in turkey hunters that crossed over from public onto private thinking they could bust a Tom and get back to public land in a hurry.
    We hunt 100% private every year, so we are blessed in that regard.

6. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Senior Refuge Member

I bought the Avian X half strut jake and a couple of the hens. They work great just be careful cause they do look real. Little bit of a PITA to carry when I'm hunting alone I seldon use decoys. They have made a difference on a couple hunts last years birds reacted well to them.

7. Glades Ranger

Wish I could hunt private land...public WMA's are the rule. Lots of pressure but I like to walk plenty and most don't so I get elbow room. Never use more than one or two decoys- tried more but not effective- spare calling and patience have worked for me on these wily Osceolas. Don't always use decoys but the majority of hunts I do. Birthday is next month so I might just "spring" for the DSD! My wife knows and understands the severity of my spring turkey affliction.

8. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Ive got both DSD and Avian X. Ill take my DSD first any day. I bring the avian x to add numbers.

9. Glades Ranger

Thank you all for the suggestions! Last season was the first time I saw a group of six birds, one tom and five hens- guess that is a harem! In the WMA it is mostly threesomes, pairs, or single birds that I encounter. Given the hunter pressure and terrain, scrub, sloughs, pine thickets- fire lanes offer openings, as well prescribed burns when they occur. A large decoy spread is not really doable/effective. I have seen those manicured lawns on private land that seem ideal but it is not what I have to deal with. I have used a Primos Mobile B tom decoy (with real fan) and a hen, but have only scored with single or twin hens. I think I will go with the leading hen because of more visibility than the feeder- long grass will obscure that decoy more.

10. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

I've been using a jake DSD and upright hen along with 2 solid carry lite type hens with good success, but DSD had a sale last fall and I got another upright hen as the feeder hens were sold out.
    I may just use the 2 uprights and jake this year, cause' they're like magnets to hens, jakes and toms:tu
    Probably ad a leader or feeder hen this fall after I C what happens this spring :l:doh:no