DSD versus Avian X turkey decoys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Dec 19, 2018.

1. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Doesn't make much difference what the hens look like with the original avian x jake with a real birds fan attached to the back of it.. ..the LB never take their eyes off the jake .

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I wrote to DSD, commending them for their product, and suggesting I hope someday they make a limited run of "Osceola" decoys- I see Eastern, Merriam's, and other species available, but have never seen a specific Osceola one. I know I also would like to see a specific mottled duck decoy...I know you can paint them to approximate coloration but still would be cool to see what either DSD or Avian X could come up with. Heck, I know some use painted jug bottles to hunt divers and kill plenty of birds over misshapen duck decoys, but I don't think a bit of realism hurts. Merry Christmas to all!

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Merry Christmas, bud!

4. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

DSD all day long...but I do travel with an AX jake...

5. Glades Ranger

Just bought an Avian X lookout hen decoy...the 54$ price, including shipping, convinced me. Hopefully after looking at it I can give a review versus the DSD decoy. Just put away my duck decoys so I am officially in spring turkey mode.:tu

6. Glades Ranger

Avian LCD lookout hen looks great- paint more vivid than DSD, time will tell how long it will last- inflates/deflates easily, valve might be weak spot. Instructions state to store inflated, this seems odd. Both decoys very similar in size and posture. Chose this pose because wma grass on the high side usually, and more visible in lookout pose. Usually deploy only 1 hen decoy, but the realism is effective i think over my older shell decoys which are worn.

7. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

DSD, all day, everyday.............

DEC and mudhen like this.
  8. dnj21

dnj21 Senior Refuge Member

Good thread, I am mulling over the same decision myself right now.
    Of course anything has to be better than the old Primos I have now, got my moneys worth but they are faded.....

9. Glades Ranger

I do have a serviceable Primos Mobile B tom decoy, rigged with a real fan- so far in limited use has only brought hens in to look. I am more careful about storing my duck and turkey decoys now, the heat and humidity are a big factor- keep them indoors in the AC. I feel the couple of extra pounds with both the DSD and now Avian x are worth it- I have shaved other weight down, taking only essential items- there are those that say "realism" is not a big deal in both duck and turkey decoys, but I do. Experience, scouting, reading the signs are gold but sometimes just having positive thought and going with "gut" feeling does it. I have actually dreamed two separate hunts before they became a reality, right down to how and where the tom would appear- gives me goosebumps but I read somewhere American Indians mentioning the same. Just like prescribed burns become magnets for turkeys, looking for more "attractive" paths that turkeys might opt for has helped me.

10. skimerhorn

skimerhorn Senior Refuge Member

I have avian x, but I think the dsd look great. I settled on avian because they were cheaper. But I've had good luck with them. I've had hens come and peck the face of my lookout and Tom's come after my jake. But dont think you go wrong with either