DSD versus Avian X turkey decoys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Dec 19, 2018.

1. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

DSD

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I really like my DSD hen! Could not convince my wife about the price, so the Avian X was purchased. Will try again next budget year.:tu

3. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

DSD for me.

4. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the video! I put my DSD and Avian X hen decoys side by side and they are nearly the same size- they look great, just hope they entice a tom in a couple of weeks.

5. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Some people have more dollars than sense, it's a freak'in turkey, use what you have and go hunt.:yes:tu

6. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

^^^^
    It all depends on how you hunt them and what you want out of your hunt. For someone who bow hunts and likes to hold and kill birds at under 10 yards, also doing a lot of video work, then a DSD is worth every penny. That is just personally what I like to do. I love to do video work and I love to kill birds with my bow at under 10 yards. I love having birds engaged in the decoys. If I was just going to park my butt against a tree and shoot the first tom that strolled within shotgun range, I'd argue that any decoy (or no decoy) is good enough. Oh who am I kidding ... I am a guy who is a decoy junky because I DO have more money than common sense ... :sp ... so I would still dump the money into DSDs.

But to say someone doesn't need to drop the coin on DSDs is all relative to how they hunt and what they want out of the hunt.

7. cholt

cholt Elite Refuge Member

I don’t own any decoys but i like the avian x looks but like I said I don’t own any. May get me some thou.

8. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

Ain't gonna hurt ya :tu

cholt likes this.
  9. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I agree with most of this, although I've had plenty of gobblers attack my old junker Feather Flex decoys that I touched up with a little red and white paint. I guess a lot depends on how pressured the birds in your area are. That being said I've never bought into the realistic decoy fads or trends, people seem to forget that these are the same birds that want to fight their reflection in puddles or the reflection on side of your car and also drown in heavy rainstorms and gobble at your truck door closing.:l:l:l

10. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

I’m down with O.P.P.