DSD versus Avian X turkey decoys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Dec 19, 2018.

1. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Flextone Thunderchick. Built in stake and alot cheaper.

SkolMNDuckHunter likes this.
  2. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

I bought the Jake and feeder hen thunder combo rogers had for $60 a few weeks ago.
    Couldn't imagine spending the money on one A-X or DSD when these decoys look the way they do for that price. Granted that's far below the regular msrp.
    Can't wait to post the picture of the gobbler they fool next month!

stevena198301 likes this.
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I saw a feeder hen of theirs the other day. Looked sharp.

4. cholt

cholt Elite Refuge Member

BEFEDE73-C68C-49CE-8E34-2AF88552D792.jpeg My buddy uses some decoys I would probably not use like so cheap ones and he has no problem with them shot a tom right after I shot mine sat. Those jakes didn’t made them.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I am currently not in the market for any decoys... I find myself using them less and less (but I still use them on occasion).

There seems to be some decent decoys on the market at far less cost than some of the "premium" decoys, but were I to purchase one or more decoys, I would still opt for quality.

I have a DSD hen decoy, with zero complaints. Very good realism, and extremely durable.

I also have an Avain X jake decoy. It leaks (even after being replaced for such). It is far lighter in weight than the DSD jake, and has realistic movement with a slight breeze (which is an advantage over the DSD). I have no doubt that if a stray pellet hits this decoy it will be a goner though.

Newer companies such as Replica Decoy company and Deception decoys also make some very realistic and durable decoys that are comparable to DSD in both durability and realism.

Were I in the market, I would look at:
    • DSD
    • Deception Decoys
    • Replica Decoy Company (RDC)
    • Avian X.
    While I have no complaints with the realism of Avian X, I would consider the durability... And no doubt the Avian jake decoy is easier to deal with if you are mobile.

Were I looking for realistic and durable decoy, I would be more apt to look at DSD, RDC, and Deception... I would likely choose the one at the lowest cost or that was more appealing to "my eye."

6. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Here's what happened in Michigan this week when one tom mounted my DSD Jake and another was having givin' him a beating :fp
    Both lay right where they were put out of our misery :l

My Tom & Decoy.JPG Gay's Tom & Decoy.jpg

7. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Glad I started this discussion....used both the DSD hen and Avian hen this past season. The hen Osceolas loved them!! Ha-ha! So far no problem with the air bladder/valve on the Avian- I am storing it inside the house with A/C. It is easier to carry than the DSD but they both are real good decoys. I will have to check out the Deception decoys. I thank you all for the input! Couple hours ago I received a message from my mentor who is in New Jersey- shot a fine 21# tom next to a planted pea field.

8. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Just got back from high in the Sierra Mountains in Chihuahua, Mexico.
    Found it interesting on the Gould's and will take the DSD hen and Jake again next year.
    Had a Jake, Tom and hen come into them.
    Jake skirted around at 6-8 feet, Tom came from far away to call and sight of decoys and within 15 feet before starting to head away and the hen at 5 feet carried on a bit and jumped on a log, went quiet and walked away.
    I do have a 4 1/2 minute video of the Tom hunt :tu
    I find it interesting an outfitter in Sonora to the west, has video after video of Gould's coming to DSD decoys.:scratch

9. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

The DSD strutters are outstanding but I couldn’t bring myself to spend $200 for something I may not hunt over very much. I have an original hard bodied jake that I bought almost 10 years ago and have had great success with it. As luck would have it I was in the local Cabela’s and they had their DSD display models marked down to crazy low after season prices. I could have bought an entire flock as they all were in perfect condition but I ended up getting the strutter and jake strutter together for what the jake would be at regular price. I don’t know if I’ll ever hunt over them but they look awesome on display in the man cave.