Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

Duck blind drawings

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by Small Bore Hunter, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Small Bore Hunter

Small Bore Hunter Senior Refuge Member

TWRA just opened up draw applications for their WMA's across the state. The first applications are for the 60 day season. Tier 2 will start later. Since I am in Region 1 I wonder how many applicants will apply at Reelfoot, Gooch, Camden and Tigrett. Those are the four in our area. What is your input?

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I applied to one of the above this morning. Will apply to several in the Tier 2 draw, but there's really only one WMA I feel good about taking care of a blind all season due to proximity.

Side note, website did all it could to keep me from applying.

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

As much as I like hunting the west side, no way would I put in for a blind there. Logistics just don't make sense, building/repairing, brushing and hunting regularly would be a 400 mile round trip but no doubt some from my area and even further east will do so and realize what they got themselves into and do nothing. I have other options for hunting over there when conditions are right.

Holesinthesky likes this.
  4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Much less the handful of blinds at Tigrett which require two boats to access.

JHS76 likes this.
  5. GUNNERX2

Yup.

6. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

Me and a group of friends from Athens and/or Knoxville went to the Camden or Big Sandy draws every year. Some years we drew good blinds, some years we left when the good ones were gone. On average we hunted them around 20-30 days a season. This was 20 years ago, it was packed then so I imagine it was worse nowadays. One thing that struck me as odd was none of our equipment that we left there never went missing. Decoys might be rearranged for the wind by blind hoppers, but other than that none of our stuff went missing. We had stoves and all sorts of stuff in the blinds.

7. Holesinthesky

Holesinthesky Senior Refuge Member

2 years ago, we allowed a group of younger guys to call our blind home.
    I get a call during the season.
    “Hey, have you had a problem with stealing”.
    - No, why?
    “ 3 dozen decoys are missing, propane tank is gone”.

8. Small Bore Hunter

Small Bore Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Been there done that. If you don’t hunt nearly every day things go missing. If it is not going to be hunted for several days best take items with you. We use camp stove and portable heater. If you leave a battery it had better be secure.

9. There.is.no.ST

There.is.no.ST Senior Refuge Member

There are a number of blinds that will need to be built at Camden. Not sure about Big Sandy. I know 127, 116, and 103 are all destroyed and need to be built from the ground up. Maybe y'all got the money to do that, but my broke *** sure doesn't, lol.

10. GUNNERX2

I suspect that there will be a number of blinds on all WMAs that will not be built, especially those that don't have much of a reputation of killing ducks. Cost of lumber these days will be a huge factor on what gets chosen. As it was last year, 10% of the blinds on Old Hickory Unit 1 were never chosen and another 5% of those chosen were never built. There were similar numbers on OH Unit 2.

smashdn likes this.