Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Duck blind meals.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by nobands, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

2011_03020044.JPG 2011_03020043.JPG 2011_03020048.JPG

1duckmaster likes this.
  2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Charcoal bucket story from long before I started hunting ducks. The boys were not cooks!! They had a can of pork and beans to heat and eat... Guy grabbed the can of beans when an old wary hen started circling... He set the un opened can in the charcoal bucket......

Said hen kept circling untill they all decided to shoot.. They did and winged her... As they went to chase her down; the forgotten can of beans exploded blowing beans and charcoal dust everywhere! They all thought one of the guns went off and blew brains all over the rest of them!

WHUP ! Hen, ARHHH4 and riverrat47 like this.
  3. Roadkill

Roadkill Refuge Member

The Classic duck blind scramble, one skillet method: Heat up a BIG skillet coated with bacon grease/olive oil/butter/canola oil & add (1-1.5Lbs) of potatoes (diced) to cook about 1/2-2/3rds done, very lightly browned. Add a pound of bulk breakfast sausage to skillet with potatoes and crumble it up, stirring occasionally until sausage is done. The sausage will add grease to the mix so do not overdo it with the other oil(s). After taters & sausage are browned, then add 6-10 eggs. Stir it up some more. When eggs loose the runniness [is this a word?], top off with 4-6 oz of shredded cheese and serve HOT after cheese melts. Should fill 5-6 hungry guts, and lasts into the afternoon.
    *Best on cold 15-20 degree mornings with no wind---so u can see & smell the steam coming off yer plate.
    **Add a cup filled with Swiss Miss hot chocolate mix---for that extra touch.
    ***Do NOT feed leftovers to dogs, if so inclined, until the "Scramble" has fully cooled off. {Dog puke in blind bad, and hard on dog}

BobGlover, ARHHH4 and newduk like this.
  4. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

A cold Busch Light and a pinch of snuff

BigSkyDuk likes this.
  5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Pretty sure the last bite I had in a blind was carved off a cold, smoked "bill" (wrapped in a dish towel) with a pocket knife some 40yrs ago. Have been known to finish a cup of coffee on the boat ride or walk to the blind, but I don't want to be the guy with a mouth full, taking a leak or worse when birds need called.

6. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

This has happened to me.....

7. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Huevos con chorizo.
    Thermos of soup most of the time though. Campbell's chicken and rice can be drank from the cup without a spoon.

8. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

I thought those were staples in the waterfowlers bag of tricks. The only moves I've seen to be more effective are standing in the decoys, sans gun, or pulling away from the blind, guns unloaded and cased.

9. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Senior Refuge Member

When we walk in it’s pretty much whatever snacks we can fit in blind bags. When we boat in, its normally eggs and shredded cheese with either bacon or deer sausage wrapped in tortillas

10. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

I've never been one to "nest" in the blind and rarely have I ever brought food, let alone cooked, but as a little kid my dad would pack the old Stanley thermos with Dinty Moore beef stew and we would pass the cup back and forth when it got slow on bitter cold days.

I still crack open a can from time to time on winter days. My wife doesn't understand why I like the stuff, and I tell her it has nothing to do with the flavor.