Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Duck blind meals.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by nobands, Oct 25, 2020.

1. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

We do much the same as the previous posters, however one of our faves is a fresh killed Greenie or Woodie cooked medium rare in olive oil. We always have warmed home made biscuits to go with whatever we have. Pancakes are popular too.

2. GHK

GHK Senior Refuge Member

It’s rare I do worry about food while hunting.
    I do enjoy from time to time a good link or two of boudin and a slice of bread. Maybe some hoghead cheese and crackers.
    I’d rather stop on the way home and get a cup of gumbo and a poboy someplace.

3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

..............or Skoal

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Who "has" to cook in a blind? I love killing ducks, and I've had a hella lot of "over before you finished setting decoys" type of hunts, but I no longer have any interest in a steady diet of it. I love calling trading and migrating birds. Here that mostly means mallards and pintails, and the working ducks often move best between 10 and 2. If hunting alone I'll often not even leave the house until 8:00, but with the group most enjoy the teal, gadwalls and divers we get early. Normal routine is get in the blind 10-15 minutes before shooting time, shoot some funny ducks early, cook breakfast between 8 and 9, break and shoot big ducks from up high and enjoy being with friends.

In other words, it only sucks if you are antisocial or the only duck hunting you enjoy is a quick limit which gets you out of the field early.

5. bill cooksey

34' cotton trailer.
    20201017_090726.jpg 20190921_154149.jpg 20190929_180903.jpg

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Bill must be hunting dumb uneducated ducks if they come within a mile of that big turd

Billy Bob likes this.
  7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Yes Bill, We all know that duck hunting is a social event that is on the level of a wedding in your world. Not all of us think like southerners and have or want to make an event of everything. I don't need a steady diet of killing either but, it is hunting and I'm there to hunt not be at some social event. If I want a social event there are many other more suitable options when I'm not hunting.

ibfowl likes this.
  8. bill cooksey

Yep, ducks in West Tennessee have zero pressure. That said, I've never seen a place where ducks wouldn't land near an island, brushpile, fenceline or other flooded cover, but I've never hunted anywhere else.

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

It's all the flooded corn around it. Wait, Bill says legal bait doesn't attract birds...

ibfowl likes this.
  10. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

About the same place myself and my “group” are at in our pursuits and I’m loving every second of it . Those late morning flights some of the best hunting of the year for us also 11-2 . I’ve been fortunate to hunt around the Country and Canada and there is still NO PLACE LIKE HOME . Some of my last few good trips out of state I found myself longing to be back in our own home blinds even if it meant an obvious less successful outcome .

creedsduckman likes this.