Duck Blind Safety

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by rjones2306, Sep 17, 2019.

1. rjones2306

rjones2306 New Member

The season is rapidly approaching here in Mid-Michigan. We'll be refurbishing our blind this weekend, in anticipation of the Oct 5th opener. One topic heading I don't see is "Safety". It can be a boring topic, until you need it. Take a quick look at my blog post, then contribute your personal experiences on the topic...

https://crazy4goldens.godaddysites.com/f/duck-blind-safety

Many thanks...
    Have a safe hunt...
    Ron

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for sharing. Interesting that photos of numerous hunters sharing a blind bothers you. It's the norm here. Blind we just put in is 36 feet long. While I enjoy an occasional solo hunt, and there's certainly something special about a morning with a dear friend, there's nothing like having 10-12 folks on the shooting deck on a really good duck day.

Vammy, RTIC and Ruination like this.
  3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Different strokes I guess; I've done a few of those and plenty of solo hunts but have learned I like 2-6 the best. Don't care much for hunting in big groups, unless we split up and hunt different blinds. Certainly doesn't bother me that others do, just not my cup of tea.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

As a very young boy, (5) the first lesson Dad taught me was 'Safety First'. He would ask me, when we got in the truck, "What is the most important thing about today?" I had to reply, "Safety first."

One day, we had reports of lots of new birds, mallards, and expected an outstanding hunt. We had talked about it for 2 days till his days off. I think I was about 8 by then. We got in the truck, and Dad asked the question. In my excitement, I replied, "We are gonna shoot all greenheads!"

Dad dropped his head, turned the truck off, and we didn't go. I cried, but he held firm.

Never forgot that.

5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Does this thread apply to someone's dog that moves around the blind knocking over shotguns?

goosenazi likes this.
  6. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Refuge Member

Maybe just me but that seems excessive lol.

auto5, RTIC, widgeon and 2 others like this.
  7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I was thinking the same thing. Being safe is important of course, but one can get carried away with it imo.

Ruination likes this.
  8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

When we had out lease property we made two blinds which worked out fairly well, one at the north end of the hole and one at the south end. Kept crowding to a minimum when we had a few people there hunting. Yes we did keep things safe as there was 300 yards spacing between blinds.

9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I just don't see a difference in safety between four guys in a rice field pit and ten guys in a blind designed for ten. There's much more potential for an accident when there's space between shooters. And example would be two in a pit designed for four. It leaves plenty of room for a gun to fall over and possibly discharge. It also tends to invite folks to swing a little too far whereas you stop your swing when standing shoulder to shoulder.

The field with the 36 footer has two other blinds in it of similar size.

tcc and stevena198301 like this.
  10. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

In IL on public ground it's 4 (sometimes 5 are squeezed in) people per blind and that seems like plenty to me. Some of the clubs have bigger blinds and pits but 3 or 4 per blind seems more common. Nothing like having a blind with a few close friends / family members to pass the time. I know a lot of people like hunting alone, but to me, what makes duck hunting the best is sharing the experience and cutting up in the blind.

It would be fun to hunt one of those mansions on Reelfoot just for the experience though...

stevena198301 likes this.