duck boats in colorado????

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by ryanordway, Jul 12, 2003.

1. ryanordway

ryanordway Refuge Member

hey everyone new to the area, just wondering if anyone here uses boats to hunt our of it seems most of the hunting is in the s. platte river area just looking for a few ways to get away from crowds. and if you care to share a few "lakes"/ marses i would be more than grateful for your help
    thanks again guys

2. hunting4food

hunting4food Senior Refuge Member

Most of us field hunt or sit the banks and rely on dogs (or swim). I suppose a boat would be cool in some situations!:sp :

See if you can make it out to the Refuge campout the 2nd and 3rd I'm sure everyone would love to meet ya. Be ready for a real good time. We're all nuts!:nutz

Oh, by the way.....WELCOME!

3. ryanordway

ryanordway Refuge Member

no one??? please guys i need your help

4. ColoDuk

ColoDuk Elite Refuge Member

not to many areas you can use boats on, i know just about everybody i know that has moved here has sold theirs, private lakes or maybe some of the large lakes may let you but you would be lucky to find any cover to hide in with how the reservoirs are so low in the winter

5. webfoot00

webfoot00 Senior Refuge Member

The only situation a boat would be nice is floating the platte. A guy really has to do his research on laws and places to put in and take out. there are alot of diversion canals that would make it difficult to float without touching bottom. I just got a boat that I'm going to float the platte with. I've lived here my whole life and don't know where to go GOOD LUCK.

6. duck911

duck911 Senior Refuge Member

There are a few places you can use a boat in CO, but in the majority of cases you can only use a boat for setting out and picking up decoys (read: hunt from shore)

If you want to use a boat, in my opinion you'd be best served with something SMALL and LIGHTWEIGHT, as in many cases you're going to have to drag it over mud, shore, and rocks. Low profile is the key here, as most of the lakes where it's legal to float there's also no or little vegitation. Lose the layout blind on the 14' john boat, and trade it in for a smaller skiff (or even a one man layout). I use a 1 man kayak with outrigger--low profile and I can carry it quite a ways if I have to. We used it a little last year, but this year I have 2 or 3 spots in mind where it will prove deadly.

And webfoot, if you think you can float the platte and not break the law, you're CRAZY......... Unless, of course, you're floating just within the boundaries of a SWA, say, Webster? <VBG> (and even then make sure it's not by draw or reservation)

Water law in the west (and, in CO) is insane, and I'm being polite. In some places you can be in the water, but not touch bottom. In other places you can be in the water or touch bottom, but not the shore. And still in other places, you can be in the water, but only to the center line of the waterway. Add to that the fact that you're trespassing if your dog is on shore our touching bottom in some cases, portage issues, and launch/retieve issues with the craft..............

I only know because I had the same thought and did the research........

--duck911

7. grappler

grappler Senior Refuge Member

I floated the Platte last spring in my aqua pod and twice this summer. I wouldnt float it with a heavy boat because there are alot of places where you have to get out and carry your craft across dams. As far as water laws, I dont have a clue.....

8. ryanordway

ryanordway Refuge Member

has anyone hunted pueblo or spinney out of a boat????

9. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

10. grnhdseducr

grnhdseducr Elite Refuge Member

I hunt Spinney out of a boat but its a 14' V hull with a boat blind. I wouldn't want to be on it in anything smaller when the wind comes up. Doesn't seem to flare birds at all.

We float the Colorado river in a raft and do well.

As far as the laws most places that are private land on the sides means they own the bottom of the river so you can float it but nothing, anchor, foot, dog, etc, can touch bottom. There are some private lands that have conservation easements so you can touch down and if its public on one side you can touch till the center of the river channel.