California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Duck Hoarders

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by DERODOM, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Dakillaofnada

Dakillaofnada Elite Refuge Member

Mosquito abatement imo is another issue that seriously needs to be looked into. Lots of places from my understanding can’t afford to provide summer water even when water is available. Can anyone elaborate on this that has first hand knowledge of the entire process? Ty

Refugeguy and letmwurk like this.
  2. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Elite Refuge Member

:yes

3. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Senior Refuge Member

I don't know much about the whole mosquito abatement process but I do know it is very expensive. On our Yolo Basin club the cost in 2019 was $6K. Last year we got water a week earlier and the cost was $20k. We are trying negotiate a lower price this year.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  4. Kornfed

Kornfed Elite Refuge Member

Weirdo!

JuvieCoot likes this.
  5. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

The rich will always be able to spend their way into something better. If you outlaw something, they’ll find a loophole. That’s why they have lawyers and places like the Cayman Islands.

a lot of these guys don’t care how many ducks they shoot. They want to be able to show others what they could shoot. Like people have stated, it’s a chest pumping thing.

if a lot of these guys really wanted to help local mallards, they’d stop farming rice on their other acres and start growing cereal grains. Now that’s #conservation

6. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

My understanding is rice ground is best suited to rice. What is the basis for your suggestion?

7. pumpgunner

Well, rice ground was grass land 100 years ago wasn’t it. I don’t know about the east side, but wasn’t much of the west side cattle country.

we know winter wheat crops are great nesting cover. Rice fields don’t provide any cover for broods until July, august?not all, but some very rich individuals could probably take a little hit planting wheat instead of rice, if the land can sustain it. I mean, a lot of these big clubs that I assume we’re talking about here, pulled the ground out of rice into seasonal marsh, but they still grow rice on other acres to pay for their costs. I’m sure a strip or two of wheat near Howard slough and butte creek would be a very productive mallard area. That is a very flood prone area yes. But if you can plant corn in that area why not wheat or rye.

Now, I am a complete novice and do not know all the details involved. I am putting out an idea that’s all. I feel like we get too locked down in what we do and not what is possible. Like for me for example. I am currently trying to figure out if there is a way we can drill some grass seeds into my family’s small duck club in the fall prior to flood up. Then pull our hunting water off in February and see if we can get nesting cover thick enough by April, may. It probably would be too costly or might not work but if it did, we’re surrounded by rice and canals. By then, broods could move into thick rice fields filled with the bugs they need. Seems like something worth a try.

double limit likes this.
  8. pumpgunner

If I’m wrong and this is impossible. No problem, we can try to think of other ideas. More ideas being thrown out can’t hurt

mak2782 likes this.
  9. Plumgold1

Plumgold1 Elite Refuge Member

It's just as you stated. The guys like Larry are spending hundreds of thousands on just water alone to make the hunting around the area better for all of us really and hes paying for abatement...he's probably already got the tractor out and working on moist soil management etc. Moms club looks worse than a ****ing salt pond as they do zero work. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Just wait until Teal Ridge is fully restored to its prime habitat. All you zamora suckers are screwed.

Waterfoul chasers likes this.
  10. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

The level of clay content in the soil is an important factor last time I discussed crop options with a rice farmer.