Duck Hunter Gone A Heartfelt Reminder

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don't know the details but I will say that as popular as the breathable waders have become, I would much rather be wearing 5mm thick neoprene chest waders for the flotation and especially the insulation that they offer when boat hunting!

As a physician, diver, duck hunter and fly fisherman who has floated down more than one ice cold river, fallen off boats unexpectedly and fallen off boats on purpose, breathable waders with a wading belt used properly are more buoyant, warmer, and easier to swim in than neoprene by an order of magnitude.

Neoprene is death. Even dry suits for cold water diving are made of material similar to high quality breathable waders not neoprene.

Clark

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
interest discussion. I wear breathable waders in warmer weather and neoprene when it gets colder. I've never had to swim far in waders.
In my (much) younger days I wore a neoprene wetsuit while scuba diving, and had a weight belt with 14 lbs of lead to neutralize buoyancy.
Don't see how breathables will retain much buoyancy once they fill up with water. Does the wading belt make a difference (as I've never used one)? Might be easier to get back in the boat in the event of a MOB? I installed a swim platform/ladder for safety since I often hunt alone.

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
interest discussion. I wear breathable waders in warmer weather and neoprene when it gets colder. I've never had to swim far in waders.
In my (much) younger days I wore a neoprene wetsuit while scuba diving, and had a weight belt with 14 lbs of lead to neutralize buoyancy.
Don't see how breathables will retain much buoyancy once they fill up with water. Does the wading belt make a difference (as I've never used one)? Might be easier to get back in the boat in the event of a MOB? I installed a swim platform/ladder for safety since I often hunt alone.

Belt traps air and thereby warmth, it keeps waders from filling with water.

Neoprene you are looking at getting wet and being cold even with a belt. Buoyancy will push your face down and feet up. It’s a pain in the arse with neoprene.

The difference between neoprene waders and neoprene wet suits is a whole other issue. Neoprene waders are not wetsuits. With a 70lb HP steel tank strapped to my back, two spearguns, lobster snares, 10+lb BCD and other safety gear I may still need a few lbs of lead to get me to sink in my 5mm wetsuit. Do you think I’d need that much weight to sink me wearing 5mm waders which effectively have the same square footage of material?

HaydenHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
As a physician, diver, duck hunter and fly fisherman who has floated down more than one ice cold river, fallen off boats unexpectedly and fallen off boats on purpose, breathable waders with a wading belt used properly are more buoyant, warmer, and easier to swim in than neoprene by an order of magnitude.

Neoprene is death. Even dry suits for cold water diving are made of material similar to high quality breathable waders not neoprene.
I am on my second season with breathables but I have not as of yet used a belt. Where's the best source for one, and are there any do's and dont's of wearing one?

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am on my second season with breathables but I have not as of yet used a belt. Where's the best source for one, and are there any do's and dont's of wearing one?

I’ve honestly never purchased a pair of waders that didn’t come with an adjustable elastic style belt. Most are made of material similar to thesuspender material.

Google elastic wader belts?

When I wear the belt it goes through the loops on the waders at mid chest height.

dubob

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I didn't know Tony and never heard of BOSS shells. But it is indeed sad to hear of the tragic loss of one of our brethren. Doubly sad because it was preventable. I also find it sad that some are bickering about the merits of waders on a thread that SHOULD be focused on the sad loss of one of our own.

livtohunt1on1

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sad situation and i feel and pray for the families involved. As much of a pain in the azz it can be...i dont wear waders in the boat for this very reason. Once a lesson learned never again tried/tested

mrmallerd

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A lesson in which we should all take pause & reflect. Sad that we hear of such on a yearly basis. It comes with what we love. RIP & may God be with those left behind.

Ruination

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Saw it yesterday, sad stuff.

Don't go over the limits of your equipment.