California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Ducks for Bucks-- Meat Buck Monday

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by flyfishz, Sep 15, 2021 at 1:17 AM.

1. flyfishz

flyfishz Senior Refuge Member

Like all duck for bucks hunt we arrive at the ranch and load gear into the Polaris. Through the gates and into the fog. This has been a weird year… way more fog than past years… today would be no exception.

Today should be a quick hunt. Start on Big Buck Hill and bag the monster we saw last week. No excuses… these are not tough shots with a properly sighted rifle. As my guest hunter stated… its not the arrow… it’s the hunter.

In position early… fog is clear here. Hunters are in the kill spot. Spotter Jordan looking for meat… Pig or deer… the freezer needs meat.”

Action kicks in early in the Kill spot. 3x3 125 yards. Should be a lay up… shot rings out… Miss! 2nd shot is fired… I head down to the west creek to assist with the retrieve… Jordan is chasing pigs down the valley. Down at the east creek I spot my hunt team. They are seated watching a group of doe and fawns between us… I call on the cell. Where’s the buck? “I think he is in the gully bleeding out” are you sure you hit him? “No”

[email protected]#$ come on… 25 minutes searching… no blood... no buck. OK… enough messing around… lets go get one.. get in the Polaris. We pick up Jordan… he has pigs cornered in the heavy brush… “ get in the rig… we are deer hunting”

No more stalking… we are ranch road hunting.. spot and shoot gentleman’s hunt I like to call it. It doesn’t take long and a buck jumps out in front of us. Its not big but it’s a legal meat buck. Hunters bail out and starting aiming at the hillside… damn that guy is small! I am about to shut it down when another buck pops up! Jordan goes up the hill my guest stays below the buck. Boom. Well I guess that is that… Here comes Jordan dragging that buck down the hill.

OK… not what we wanted but meat is going in the freezer… Jordan goes to work on the buck… we head south to Big Buck Canyon.

There are two ways to hunt the canyon. From the ridges spotting down in and from the deep canyon floor flushing as they go. We opted for the rim hunt. It doesn’t take long and we spot a very nice 3x3 working up the opposite hillside. The buck seems calm and settled. My hunter bails out and starts close the distance to a safe shooting range… whatever that is… 30 minutes later the buck wins… he has either blended into the bushes or he doubled back down the canyon. Back in the Polaris we drive back to pick up Jordan. The meat is bagged and ready for the cooler.

OK… I have wanted to hunt this top ridge for years… its going to be a hike but my ranch hand says the biggest deer on the property are on that ridge. Suck it up… get ready to hike. From sea level we drive to 700 feet. The next 300 feet will be steep and loose. Lets go!

The view is amazing. We can see thousands of acres of prime deer hunting. It’s a mile and half to the end of the ridge. Lets get going. We make it 150 yards and hear the familiar sound of hoofs on snapping twigs. No messing around here. The buck is solid, standing broadside… staring straight at us… 45 yards. Would be a great bow shot. The rifle mounts to the shoulder, aim is taken, and 3 seconds later the buck is done. Gutting will show the heart blown apart in two pieces. quick and clean.

We gut him and drag him back down the hill and load him in the Polaris. It’s a wired feeling… yes the buck will be a great eater, but there is still 1.5 miles of ridgeline that has never been hunted. In fact, I ahve never even seen it up there. I don’t want to leave… but this was supposed to be a quick day and the "boss" wants me home… you know how that is.

We have to choose our route out of the ranch North, middle or south. I pick North… As we roll along creek we spot doe after doe… we are cruising slow and quiet… close to where Mark had the buck sneak past him from behind in hunt 2.

OH MY GOD!!! Shoot that deer! Hunter bails out and tries to get ahead of where the deer is walking. Jordan and i stay behind. We can see our shooter looking into the thick bushes 60 yards away… hunting…

Then we see him. The buck has doubled back and is 35 yards away just uphill in the heavy brush. He is fricking huge. The biggest blacktail deer I have ever seen. We are speechless for a minute… we wave frantically for our hunter to come back… the deer hasn’t moved.

Shooter is in position but the buck is sliding into the thicket. A shot rings out. The buck dips his head slightly and disappears behind the tree. We are excited. We jog up the hill … no blood… no buck… we hear another rustle… there he is. 60 yards ... Calm and collected… probably knew he cheated death… he walks up the hill using the trees as a sheild only being visable a few seconds at a time and then out of sight… we chase hoping for a blood trail... no blood anywhere. That was a record book buck… he is still out there.

What a hunt! Lets do it again next week! I am looking for a hunter that wants to tackle the upper meadow with me. The trophy buck is off limits... If you have trade and want a real hunt exploring meatbuck 1.jpg meatbuck 2.jpeg skull.jpeg some never hunted land give me a shout. I have 1 spot left.

Meat buck heads and a 3x3 the lions got in big buck canyon. 22 inch spread on those antlers!

Hunt 4 Results will post tomorrow--

OGblackcloud likes this.
  2. flyfishz

Oh yeah i almost forgot... when we were stalking the huge buck we pushed a big 200 pound pig out of the brush. Big boy. we gotta get that guy!

3. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

I’d offer several hunts at the duck club . But I’m gone the last week of A zone to Wyoming . Like to get my middle
    One a buck soon to

4. ZaneO

ZaneO Senior Refuge Member

Maybe next year if I get water

5. flyfishz

if anyone is thinking next year... just a heads up... 2 maybe 3 hunts are already taken. I suspect my next hunter will also want to rebook book next year and his club in the sink is excellent so i took 2 hunts there... so a great trade for both of us. speak up if you want to hunt next season or fall pig when they are on the acorns... spots go quick.

6. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

I’d like to get one of my boys a buck ..I have a blind in the grasslands that I can shoot any day. Bass boat delta trips ,or all the pigeons you can shoot , easy bear hunts . Loads of mountain quail and valley quial buy I assume u have plenty of those. Tons of dove both seasons . Corn and wheat field honkers .

Coach_quack and ducslayer like this.
  7. mallardman13

mallardman13 Senior Refuge Member

I Can assure you that Joe’s pigeon hunt is the closest thing to Argentina you can experience without spending tons of money. You could easily shoot 500 shells in a day and never make a dent in them. It would be nice to get his son a buck.

Coach_quack likes this.
  8. flyfishz