Dusky (blue) grouse guide or outfitter

Tundrawookie

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m looking to knock a dusky grouse off the life list, and my original plan isn’t going to work. A quick google search turns up a ton of potential options; but I was hoping that somebody that has more insight than me could point me in the direction of a decent guide or outfitter.
I realize that this is probably something that I could do on my own, but living in Alaska I’d be coming in completely unfamiliar with the areas that could potentially hold birds; and being a working stiff I only have so much time to work with. Getting acclimated to the high elevation may take some time as well, so I’ll take any advice that I can get on that subject.
Thanks in advance!

waterswatter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your quest. Blues are on the ridges and ruffeds along the creeks. As far as the Dusky, is that a variant of the blue?

I'm used to seeing lots of blues and ruffeds while elk hunting and then when I go out a month later to target the grouse, they've all disappeared. I've yet to get one. I gave up a decade ago but for some reason, next week I'm going with a friend to where we've seen them before. :doh

Tundrawookie

Reaction score
Thank you. Yeah, that’s grouse for you. I know the feeling well. Sometime around 2005(?), some ornithological society determined that rather than a single species of blue grouse, there were two separate and distinct species called sooty and dusky grouse.
I honestly couldn’t tell you what the biological differences are between the two, but geographically speaking the sooty is found in the Cascade range all the way north to the Alaskan panhandle. The dusky is found further inland in the Rockies.
Good luck next week!

Native NV Ducker

Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others
Reaction score
I can get into Blue's pretty easily. Sooties are another matter, as they are in a different geographical location (as mentioned above)

I remember this episode from Meateater. There is a part 2 where he gets it figured out (with expert help).

Tundrawookie

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Given where I live, I’ve been fortunate to be able to hunt and enjoy some success on sooties. It’s the dusky, or blue grouse found in the Rocky Mountains that I’m inquiring about. The terminology gets pretty confusing if we aren’t ornithologists.
I don’t mind walking; a typical day of ptarmigan hunting will have a guy covering 5-15 miles on foot. Kind of nuts, but it’s what I have to work with. I am concerned about the high elevation, but I figure I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Like I said in the first post, I’m just inquiring if anyone (particularly someone living in the Rockies) could recommend a reputable guide or outfitter to point an out of stater in the right direction.
Thanks again.

mister gadwall

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
(If I am in error Someone will correct the following Im certain )...I do not believe Idaho allows outfitters to guide for upland birds. Someone may guide you but a registered guide or outfitter would be risking their license.

Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Wyoming has a lotto blues. Spend enough windshield time off paved roads above 5000-7000 feet in elevation in the northern rockies and I 'spect you would get your blue grouse. See them on the road, go by them or stop and walk them up. You will get an idea of he habitat they want pretty quickly.

The males and females go to higher terrain in September and October after summering with chicks in lower elevations with plentiful berry bushes , greens, bugs, grasshoppers and water.