Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

east tennessee ducks

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by 10ga, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Pintails13

Pintails13 New Member

I would love to move to Memphis. I'm sure I will be driving west this weekend with the lack of ducks around here. I'm moving overseas next year so gotta make the most of my last duck season!

stevena198301 and bill cooksey like this.
  2. Quackerattacker

Quackerattacker Senior Refuge Member

There's a few places that will hold ducks for very short amount of times. They don't hang around long though. It's constant searching if you're going to have any success in the east TN dessert lands for ducks

3. muddrutt

muddrutt New Member

Saw some migrators on Friday and Saturday but couldn’t get anything to give us a look.

4. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

As you can tell by me not posting anymore, I've givin up on duck hunting due to all my hunting buddies either moving away or quitting. I hunted the last 3 years by myself and eventually gave up, not much fun going by yourself and being 53 now, it's tough hunting big water like Cherokee without help setting out and putting up. I've been fishing like a crazy man the last couple years so I'm still on the water every chance I get. I went out for a few hours today on Cherokee and if I were still hunting, I would be out there right now. I saw lot of birds moving around on the lower end, mostly divers. Even saw a couple groups of Sand Hill Cranes. I talked to a couple young guys coming in as I was launching my boat and they killed a few and said they did see several big groups. Anyways I thought I would give you guys a report for Cherokee and if I see a bunch I'll pots on here and let you know. Hope everyone has a great season! Be safe

5. Pintails13

Pintails13 New Member

Yeah I'm with you 10ga I am getting sick of going by myself. If anyone else needs a hunting buddy let me know and I would love to go together. Or if anyone has an open spot on a hunt I would love to tag along. I have a few dozen decoys and a boat with a blind.

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Waterfowling in eastern Oklahoma has been on a steady decline over the past ~15 seasons. Lack of food is a big issue as with some counties here, acres under cultivation have dropped by ~90% over the past 20 seasons as Bermuda pasture has steadily replaced row crops. Also, many of the COE reservoirs have been 2-6' below normal pool for many of these seasons making it hard for the birds to find and natural habitat. Other items include abundant crops north of us and a snow line that rarely makes it much below mid-Kansas during the season. The High Plains Mallard Management units seem to be holding up with the best reports coming from western Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and eastern Wyoming. Long way to go for a duck. I/we feel your pain.

7. muddrutt

muddrutt New Member

Quackerattacker,
    I heard there were some birds down on watts bar. My buddy was out Saturday evening and saw several groups migrating in.

8. Quackerattacker

Quackerattacker Senior Refuge Member

I'm on such a weird work schedule now, it's hard to get out there and scout around. I'm off the next couple of days and I'll be riding around to see what I can find. Thanks for the heads up! That little fella in the picture in my avi is now 19 years old and he's the only one left out of all my hunting buddies left that has a desire to go anymore. I'll let y'all know how we do Saturday

Andrew Briggs likes this.
  9. muddrutt

muddrutt New Member

Hopefully this cold front coming in will push some new ducks in.

10. muddrutt

muddrutt New Member

We rode all over the lake last week and saw very few ducks. Hopefully before the end of the season we will get some new birds to play with.