Eastern mallard popu articles

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by duckbutler, May 22, 2020.

1. TarNFeathers

TarNFeathers Senior Refuge Member

I hadn't thought of RSA, game farm birds as Eurasian. That sounds plausible.

2. perfmarine

perfmarine Elite Refuge Member

Well that's a nice Theory but why did the Mississippi Flyway mallard take a big hit as well. According to harvest surveys the Atlantic Flyway held steady at almost 500,000 Birds killed yearly through 2008 then a steady decline to 2018 of 277000 and the Mississippi Flyway had a similar decline with in 2010 at 2.5 million Birds killed down to 2018 1.4 million Birds killed so it's not just the Atlantic Flyway and why haven't there bag limit been reduced they have lost a million Birds

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  3. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

Very good question. I can't say that I have read as much on the Mississippi mallard flock. Is it just the kill that's down out there, or is the breeding population count down as well? In the Atlantic flyway the breeding surveys are where our numbers are down so much, not just the kill.

It's a very complicated issue. Another possibility for the kill dropping off is the short stopping of birds further north, thus completely avoiding many southern hunters that they used to fly past, and wintering where the season ends earlier.

And yes, why hasn't the miss flyway had a bag limit reduction? For one thing in the miss flyway politics play a much bigger role in setting seasons and bags, that's why we went from a Jan 20 end date, to the last weekend in Jan, and now to the last day in Jan. When the USFWS says no, Mississippi says well F ya we'll just have our senators and congressmen overrule you.

Maybe these extra 11 days at the end of the season are disrupting breeding pairs that badly. Who knows?

Just turn loose 10 million mallards down south each year and all will be good.

4. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

5. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

Been a while since I read that one, thanks for posting the link again.

A lot of if's and but's in there. A lot of genetic scare that tests have disproved in the 13 years since. And as we see in the timeline they outline, mallards releases increased and mallard populations increased, then releases decreased and population decreased, then releases increased again and population increased again. Now the releases have been cut way back and the population falls again.

We survey for breeding mallards here, want to count them and have a high population for season setting purposes, but don't want them here at the same time because they compete with black ducks. Ok, kind of wanting it both ways there.

Fewer federal bands reported near RSA's and MRA's, but no proof that federal bands are being killed there. Maybe wild ducks are avoiding the area because of the number of tamies present, or just fewer wild birds being shot because they're shooting tamies instead.

A lot of speculation, and a lot of bias, as evidenced by opinions/conclusions in the first paragraph before any supporting evidence is presented.

Also, like many aspects of our lives that the government wishes to interfere and control, there is a fair amount of "you can't do this without paying the permits/fees and jumping through the hoops, but we're too busy to be bothered with dealing with you to allow you to do this. Enforcement is inconvenient for us, so we would rather just not allow you to do it. Thanks for the fines though, bought a truck and boat with it."

And don't pretend quail and pheasant stay on the place they were released. I've seen pheasants in cornfields miles from the nearby shooting preserve.

And oh boy oh boy, best of all, illegal releases could be 100's or 1000's annually. Man, gee, that's just HUGE.

Remember when they blamed the migrant Canada goose population crash on increasing resident flocks masking the decline? Now they manage to wipe out the residents flocks. Migrant flocks are still in the crapper again. Personally, give me the giant resident populations of the late 90s again and a 4 bird limit all season long in those zones, and you can have the migrant hunting. 1 bird, or 2 birds, just ain't worth much. I feel the same way about the mallards. We have an East Coast population of migrating tamies and half breeds and they want to pretend they are a wild resource to be protected at the expense of sportsmen and personal freedom. And largely blame the private side because of the state's budget restraints. Instead of spending state time and resources on management and enforcement of releases, just spend the time and money on habitat. That's what that paper says we need after all. Oh wait, they also want to tell you and I that we have to spend our money on habitat too, and not on birds. Yeah, that's a free country, when the govt is legislating choice out, and telling you and I what we need to spend our money on if we want to have a good hunt. Right.

perfmarine likes this.
  6. gooserslucer

gooserslucer Senior Refuge Member

I read an article 5 or so years ago that stated that bird band returns showed many of our mallards were coming from the Great Lakes area including Michigan and Ontario. There are a lot of mallards still coming to Maryland, however, they are very nocturnal.