Easy way to prevent Avocodos from over ripening

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you want to hold Avocados for a while, keep them submerged in a container of cold water. When you decide to use one it will be at the same ripeness as when you put it in the water.

Peakebrook

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Definitely will give that a try.

Thanks

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you prevent Avocados from being in contact with air, they do not further ripen.
I have kept them underwater for two weeks, taken them out and they are the same as when I submerged them. With the price of Avocados this comes in handy

fireduck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
HOW ABOUT HOW TO RIPEN AVOCADOS? Very hard to find one at the store ready to use- normally let it sit on the counter for a couple of days- something better? fireduck

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Put an unripe Avocado in a paper bag with an Apple or Banana to speed up ripening.

kahunna

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Any way to prevent the remainder of a half-cut avocado from browning? We have a few recipes that use a half of an avocado and hate to lose the remaining half.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yall need to take the chemistry class I had.
One lab was exactly this topic.
Upon analysis it was determined that fruit gives off byproduct gasses that accelerate ripening.
This all led to using the green bags with holes to slow the process.
Grocery store science? Yup.

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Leaving the seed in a half cut Avocado and putting in the fridge, slows down browning.
Concerning keeping Avos underwater. it does have it limits. i recently tried keeping some for a little over twos weeks and when I cut them they had aged inside in an odd color way. I may not have kept them cold enough just left outside.
So the underwater protection might be best considered a one week "hold" which still helps considering the price of Avocados these days.