Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

Ecollars

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Hawk, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

I've tried searching and haven't found any recent topics on ecollars, but I might be doing it wrong too. It's been at least a decade since I bought a collar. It's time for a new one, does anyone have any recommendations? Last time I bought one Tri-tronics and Dogtra were the top collars.

Dog will both be an upland dog and waterfowl dog, I'm thinking at least half mile range, and I'm fully expecting to spend in the $200-$400 range.

Any recommendations on what to buy or what to avoid?

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Member RIP Doc

I used to be a TriTronics guy :h ----- Until Garmin took over. :cry
    Now, I'm sold on Dogtra. :clap

3. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

Thank you. My first collar was TriTronics, my last was a Dogtra so good to know Dogtra must still be putting out good products.

Peter S. likes this.
  4. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

Dogtra Edge RT has worked well for me. The only feature I wish it had was a remote collar light. The Garmin does have that feature.

5. Bigshootss

Bigshootss Senior Refuge Member

I have a Garmin with the built in led lights and like it.

6. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

The Garmin Pro 550 or Dogtra Edge RT are hard to beat. The Garmin Sport Pro is good choice for something less expensive.

The remote beacon lights on the Garmins are a nice feature to have.

7. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Elite Refuge Member

Dogtra here

Peter S. likes this.
  8. Don Smith

Don Smith Elite Refuge Member

I'm a Garmin guy. Pro 500 and Pro 550, but I've been thinking about the Dogtra Edge RT whenever the Garmin's give out. There are changes that Garmin has made that I don't like since they bought TriTronics. I rarely need their customer service, but when I have, it's not nearly as good as TriTronics was. E.g., while it was still TriTronics one time when I was hunting in North Dakota I lost a transmitter. It was a Thursday and we were due to be home the following Sunday. I called TriTronics right after I lost it. When I got home Sunday, my new transmitter was sitting on the front porch. I hate the narrow collar on the 550. It's like I might use on a chihuahua. For that reason, my go-to collar is the 500. Garmin also started cutting back what's available to members of the TriTronics Influentials Club. First, no more discounts on equipment for members or for their clients. Then, cutting back on available free logo clothing. And a year ago, no more Influentials Club. I still recommend the Garmin Sport Pro to Clients. I never liked Dogtra due to the rheostat to change settings (I don't understand 75 different settings or whatever it is/was). The Dogtra Edge is more what I'm used to . I don't care for any other brand. One of my private lesson clients showed up a few weeks ago with an ecollar that he's spent all of $40 on. I tested it. Too hard to change settings and, OMG, holding the receiver in the palm of my hand, it took about a second or two from the time you press the button until the stimulation.

9. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

One thing I like about the Edge RT is having separate sets of buttons for nick and continuous. I never have to twist and dials after I get out of the truck.

10. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

I do like having separate nick and continuous, that was nice with my old Dogtra collar. As was the vibration which I used for sit instead of a whistle. I'm going to keep looking around but the Dogtra Edge RT is moving up my list. Although I do like the light up option on the Garmins.

Peter S. likes this.