Ed's Red Bore Cleaner Formula

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by 10GAGENUT, Feb 6, 2017.

1. skywatcher1

skywatcher1 Elite Refuge Member

Or one coule clean a gun more then once a year and not have a need for this toxic flammable item huh??

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

As far a storage of Ed's Red, I've found that polyethylene bottles allow for the acetone/MEK/xylene to evaporate through the bottle's wall. I recommend using a glass or, preferably, metal container with a sealed cap/lid.

Drakehammer likes this.
  4. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

Contrary to the original post verbiage and formulation, acetone is not aromatic. It is currently also not considered carcinogenic or mutagenic. It can cause problems by acute respiratory overexposure. But generally speaking it is the least harmful ingedient in the recipe.

5. Packrattusnongratus

Packrattusnongratus New Member

I keep it in a one gallon plastic gas dispenser can. It works for me and has for over ten years. I have eight ounce dispenser bottles and a two ounce needle tip bottle that does for day to day dispensing. I keep some 0W20 Mobil One oil in another needle tip bottle for oiling fine mechanisms. I recently had to dump about ten ounces out of my original Ed's Red mix as it had accumulated a layer of moisture in the bottom of the gallon can. I used it to soak some scrap cardboard and piled on brush then burned it all. It worked quite well and didn't explode. Just burned with vigor. Try Ed's red. It works on most everything except the worst copper in rifles barrels. I use it on new to me guns, then use a copper remover like the one from Barnes. Be Well, Packrat.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    10GAGENUT likes this.
  6. Packrattusnongratus

Check the labeling on your commercial cleaners. I like to make a gallon for the high price of commercial cleaners for maybe 20 ounces. I shoot a bit though as well as reload. So maybe I reload so I can shoot so I can reload...…… Be Well, Packrat

7. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I'll stick with Tetra, it's cleaned foulings and baked on gunk from the most neglected guns I have ever worked on.

8. Packrattusnongratus

Tetra didn't do crap for me. I was NOT impressed with it. I think I threw away a partial bottle. Ed's Red cleaned up a severely neglected Marlin 39A fast. It looks like it was never left uncleaned as the gun rag writers used to espouse. I have soaked off Cosmoline with it. But white gas worked better outside the shop. Only on Cosmoline. I use Ed's Red on clening a dirty bicycle chain as well. Then use half and half to oil it. That's one to one ATF and mineral spirits. Good luck with your tetra. Be Well, Paacky.

9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Anyone substitute KROIL for the Dextron in their Ed's Red?
    I've used Ed's Red for decades, but am always looking for improvements.

Packrattusnongratus likes this.
  10. Packrattusnongratus

I might add Kroil and drop off half of the Dextron. Say a pint of each, but no more than that until I tested the partial drop of Dextron. I have a small bit less than a gallon of conventional Ed's Red right now. I also added an ultrasonic tank so I may not try this for a long time. The Kroil sounds interesting though. Be Well, Packy.