Michigan Flyway Forum Sponsors

Eercised the TYSON Sunday between the rain drops..

Discussion in 'Michigan Flyway Forum' started by jrothWA, Oct 25, 2021.

1. jrothWA

jrothWA Senior Refuge Member

went to a local game area and let loose the TYSON.

Was walking around and came into a stand of white pine and thick duff on the floor.

TYSON did a run by just to touch base with Dad. After he passed then I spied a small brown lifted off the ground into a high parabola, accompanying with a double Tweet-tweet.
    A WOODCOCK.
    Sounded recall [the old cavalry tune], and TYSON came at full charge and passed again, right past the bird and he reversed the flight, I took a shot and missed.

Then I realized that I did not have my three-shot plug in the mag tube, and let him go away.

I was SURPRISE that the bird is still around. Net time the plu will be in and I'll have some 7-1/2 shotshells with me.

2. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

holy english....or lack of

3. R.J.M.

R.J.M. New Member

Been so warm in northern Michigan
    The woodies maybe here at Christmas

4. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Better hurry your next time back as you're right, woodcocks should have left by now :scratch

5. OldGriz

OldGriz Senior Refuge Member

It's snowing in northern Michigan this evening. Woodcock should be heading south!

On another note, I crossed the Mackinac Bridge on Friday and Sunday and saw NO rafts of divers! There are usually several rafts on the UP side. Water was fairly calm and I should have seen them if they were there.

6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Before all this climate change crap, I would start targeting woodcock down here in TN Thanksgiving week and my spots would be loaded. On another note, I've flushed them in Feb when the ground was frozen and hard as concrete. Can't imagine how in the world they could find something to eat.