Egyptian Wheat

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by KAHunter, Jul 18, 2019.

1. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Appreciate that, I very well might take you up on your offer!

2. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

Thanks to Hurricane Dorian I have a nice flat mat of egyptian wheat. oh well. I will get a pic this weekend. just getting reports from my brother who checked out our land saturday that it all blew over. Lost a few trees but not much other damage so could have been worse I guess.

3. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

KAHunter, I'm betting it will stand back up after it dries off. We had a tornado come through last year that missed the farm by less than 100 yards, all my EW was blown completely over, in less than a weak it was standing strong again. if it didn't break the bases then it should stand back up give it some time. It is very common for it to blow over all the way especially if it is planted thick. I have had mine blow over several times during big thunderstorms and wind only for it to be standing up right several days later when I thought for sure it was a lost cause. All mine came up voluntarily this year so it is spaced out every couple of feet and the bases have roots like corn. They haven't blown over once this year which is amazing. I think if I plant any next year I will probably cut the seeding rate in half
    good luck

4. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

This is a stand of mine. It hasnt blown over in big winds but after the first frost its standing days are over. 20190906_165029.jpg

5. KAHunter

IMG_20191011_094438462_HDR.jpg Not the biggest stand in the world but I will take it. about 5'-6' tall with the seed heads This will def help with out southern buffer till it fills in more

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  6. KAHunter

Few before and after pics after I mowed for 6 hours the other day in our moist soil patch. 8 or so acres I prob mowed 5 to 6
    IMG_20191011_104021922.jpg IMG_20191011_121137771.jpg

7. KAHunter

8. KAHunter

Ton of switchgrass and foxtail with some Penn smartweed and BYG mixed in

9. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

Awesome pics KAHunter. Looks like a neat spot.

10. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

KAHunter, did you hit the EW with a ton a Urea ? If you leave it standing it will probably reseed itself for the spring. I have more volunteer plants than I did with the actual planting last year, I guess all the dozer work we did drug them all over. Mine are between 10-14 ft not bad for all voluntary