Elk Season Coming Soon

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Sep 5, 2019.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Switching it up a bit. Elk season is coming up quick out west. Elk are on the top of my list of animals to hunt. My son has a muzzle loader bull tag for a late October hunt. We're packing into a wilderness area that we have been hunting for 15 years. My boy killed his first bull there when 11 years ago when he was 14 (with a bow). I'm getting a little psyched up for this muzzle loader hunt! A co-worker has a rifle bull tag in early November in the same area. I'm planning to be on that hunt as well.

Anyone here have an elk tag this season? What state? What weapon? Got pictures of past elk hunts? Videos maybe? Post them here if you do.

I've been watching a lot of elk hunt videos just to keep the blood pumping. Here's a few elk hunts.

2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I’m looking for an elk guide myself. I just don’t have the resources or hunting buddies to pull off a hunt without a guide. I abhor the idea of hunting with a guide but it’s the only way I’ll ever get the experience.

Still looking for the right guide. What a nightmare process.

3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I have no desire to harvest an elk but I’d love to spend a week in elk country with an elk hunter, see the scenery and experience the fall elk season.

4. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Wyoming.

Cow tag. Yum.

Rifle.

5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I’ll go elk hunting with you Scott

6. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Montana.

Think I'm going early November for 8 or 9 days or until I can pack one out.

7. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

It’s nice when all 12 people in camp show up on the mountain to pack out an elk. Makes short work.

Or eating fresh Elk tenderloin.

As far as the scenery, I stopped taking pictures out there as you’d have to take pictures of everything you see as it’s beautiful federal land. I just take it all in.

TheDuckSlayer and Vammy like this.
  8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

My friend of 25 years retired about 5 years ago from guiding in Colorado, getting on in years so he figured 70 was a good age to retire. He offered many times to take me on free hunts, but I wouldn't take him up on it becasue he made his retirement income off guiding. You got the full experience horses and pack mules were the transportation to hunt, and he had some real good property leases going for years there. Maybe not take a Super Trophy Bull but he would get you close enough to a good one to be happy if you did your part.

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I don't chase em, but one of my trap club buddies is really into bow hunting. He parked the trailer downstairs on my property today, and goes up the mountain, looking for the black timber. He is about 50/50 with the bow, but if he misses there, he brings the % up to about 90% during rifle season.
    Nice guy, just kinda elk crazy. On the other hand, I get a couple of elk steaks for letting him park there, and letting him borrow the ATV when he needs it.

10. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

What state?