elk season

Pine

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
elk season opens in the morning.think i'll drive over to atlanta and watch them checking and weighing in. ...notice i said watch..wish i could draw one time.:(

fowlmen

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You and me both. i would love to get a nice bull.

Firetiger

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sure be nice to get drawn for a Bull tag ,,never got one , not once

hardwick 1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A guy I used to work with applied for 3 years the his 4th year he got drawn for a cow. Once in a lifetime opportunity. On his way up his popup blew a tire and started swaying making his van and trailer wildly out of control. They left the roadway and his van flipped and he was seriously hurt, Broken neck. He was not parilyzed but he never did get to go on that hunt.

Dutchman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
they are going to change the drawing to a point system. And I heard that if you manage to draw a bull tag, you are done for life.

weatherby

Reaction score
I havn't drawn a elk tag yet, but i do believe goose hunters has drawn 2 since you could hunt them. It is pretty cool to hang out in atlanta during this huntLots of stuff goin on

TEAL TIME

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
If the elk point system is any thing like the bear system they got know its really gonna be screwed up. i think that the state should have a permit that all people interested in hunting elk should get, it would be a one time buy, then they draw from those permits every year until every one has had a chance to hunt it might take some years but at least everyone would get a chance sooner or later, and when that list is done start all over with new permits, it might work it might not it sounds better than what they already have

Pine

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
:cool: .i went to atlanta it was pouring rain. at 10:30 this morning they had 2 bull elk hanging. both 6x6-- one weighed 760 pounds the other 690 pounds. while i was there a lady brought in a 260 pound cow and a guy weighed in a 180 pound calf.....don't know why anyone would shoot a calf opening day. maybe he hadn't s
seen one before and from a distance in the rain it looked bigger.

ski-bum :::in answer to your question on drawing twice.in 1999 my nephew drew a bull elk permit and i went with him.the day before you hunt you must attend a DNR seminar. they tell you all the do's and dont's. the first question they asked was if anyone of the permit holders had drawn previously and 2 of the 130 permit holders were lucky enough to draw twice.also there was 2 no-shows

goose hunters

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I only can wish I was going to Atlanta this week. I would love to be there when they start hanging the big bulls. What a sight it is. Up close is the only way to get a feeling for just how big they really are. If you can get up there this week, do it.

If you ever get drawn or have a friend get drawn, contact me at once. I can tell you how to do it yourself or a good guide service to use. It is the hunt of a lifetime in Michigan.

Latest posts