Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

End Of Season Maintenance On Boat Motor?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by fireduck, Jan 8, 2020.

1. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

I only duck hunt with my 2/4 stroke 9.9/20 Mercs anymore and the only maintenance I’ve done for many years now is to run them out of fuel every time I use them late in the season. Never know which outing will be last towards the end. I do replace lower unit fluid every couple seasons. I’ve replaced impellers but usually something has caused failure like cracked screen at intake or running in muck and clogging intake.

2. Bottomland hunter

Bottomland hunter Senior Refuge Member

On the 2 strokers I’d never leave gas in it on a 4 stroker they recommend you to leave gas in the motor . If it was me and I wasn’t going to be taking it out . I’d get a barrel or industrial trash can and fill it with the water and run the motor . If you can put the muffs on it and run it . Mine has to be submerged . Be sure to hit that gear selector with some grease too . Check that lower unit grease As others have said. Heck them seals and replace what needs to be . Run some sea foam through the motor . Check my bearings on the trailer look the tires over for any cracking .