Ending cash bail

grahler

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This might sound stupid but I’m not familiar with the bail system-my sense is ending cash bail is bad because everything that pops up on search says what a great idea it is.
Can anybody with experience explain it?

grahler

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

It’s a due process issue. Just because you’re arrested and poor doesn’t mean you’re guilty and should have to sit in jail waiting for the system to work.
So let’s say you get caught robbing the liquor store, you walk free and are left to turn up for court on your own?

Bclick

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
So let’s say you get caught robbing the liquor store, you walk free and are left to turn up for court on your own?

Or running over a kid in ND?

Bclick

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just saw that.
That’s why I often just wanna tap out and avoid society.

Tell you what, that killer out on bail is an opportunity for the kids dad to get a no cash bail deal of his own.

Bclick

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
In that case it’s the sooner the better temporary insanity.
2 2 chest and uno to head

Tell you what. Id want to be on that jury

slimm21

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Pretrial detention wouldn’t be eliminated. It would work off risk assessment. I.e. if mow down a teenager with a car and are deemed high risk you will be detained.

Did you read my article?

grahler

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Pretrial detention wouldn’t be eliminated. It would work off risk assessment. I.e. if mow down a teenager with a car and are deemed high risk you will be detained.

Did you read my article?
Sure. Here’s the last bit from your article:

In a country where Black people are more likely to be poor as the result of centuries of discrimination and institutional racism, bail compounds inequities rooted in our original sin of slavery. If modern-day slavery had a sound, it would be the clanking of chains as shackled people walk toward court rooms that do not deliver justice.

Pretrial detention feeds the beast of mass incarceration. During COVID-19, imprisonment became a death sentence for far too many people. No one deserves to be confined in unsafe conditions without appropriate health and safety measures to protect them from a deadly disease. Eighty percent of people who died from COVID-19 in certain Texas jails had not even been convicted of a crime, according to a study from the University of Texas at Austin.

Everything that helps a person stay out of the criminal legal system, remain healthy, and stay safe is put in jeopardy by pretrial detention. It is a cruel, senseless waste of resources to jail people who are presumed innocent. This practice destroys lives and doesn’t keep us safe. Most people in the United States agree: it is long past time to end money bail. Freedom should not be for sale.

So my take on that particular article is that the author gave 2 anecdotal examples of injustice or bad mistakes by the bail system then wrote the paragraphs I just quoted.

To ME the only relevant point made is a big one and that’s why should a person presumed innocent be detained.
All the bit about institutional racism by the author was merely appeal to emotion without logical solid ground.

I do think though it’s a strong argument to say people presumed innocent ought not be detained however on the flip side if you let them go it’s likely they will flee whereas under a bail bond the bail bondsman is coming to get them.

I’m no expert on this which is why I asked.
I just think when I see appeal to emotion like claims of racism etc I tend to shake my head unless logic is included.
Your cited article calls slavery original sin lol not much logic there imo

Latest posts