Ending cash bail

grahler

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Plus as far as this quote from the article:

Everything that helps a person stay out of the criminal legal system, remain healthy, and stay safe is put in jeopardy by pretrial detention

How about just obeying the law? How about not robbing and stealing and drug dealing and assaulting?

Maybe you might not be in pre trial detention if you were never arrested.

Just sayin. I’m no expert just using common sense to learn about an issue and that’s what I see right now.

slimm21

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Plus as far as this quote from the article:

Everything that helps a person stay out of the criminal legal system, remain healthy, and stay safe is put in jeopardy by pretrial detention

How about just obeying the law? How about not robbing and stealing and drug dealing and assaulting?

Maybe you might not be in pre trial detention if you were never arrested.

Just sayin. I’m no expert just using common sense to learn about an issue and that’s what I see right now.

Do some more googling. If you're for less money being pi$$ed away you'd like the system getting a reform too. The common sense part isn't that hard. If you're sitting in city/county jail for a non violent offense, which by the way you are still not guilty of at this time, all because you can't make cash bail, it's an enormous suck on the system. Being arrested DOES NOT MAKE YOU GUILTY.
Again, it's about due process. Read the 5th and 14th.

The real goal -- keep violent offenders/people dangerous to the public can still remain intact while allowing more people the liberty they are rightfully due, and saving the system a pile of money. Then, if and when they plead out or are guilty, they can face the music.

lax

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Do some more googling. If you're for less money being pi$$ed away you'd like the system getting a reform too. The common sense part isn't that hard. If you're sitting in city/county jail for a non violent offense, which by the way you are still not guilty of at this time, all because you can't make cash bail, it's an enormous suck on the system. Being arrested DOES NOT MAKE YOU GUILTY.

The real goal -- keep violent offenders/people dangerous to the public can still remain intact while allowing more people the liberty they are rightfully due, and saving the system a pile of money. Then, if and when they plead out or are guilty, they can face the music.
I get the whole non-violent thing. Here lies the problem regarding the violent/dangerous people being detained, the enforcement of detaining them has been circumvented by the no cash bail mentality and the risk assessment B.S.

The multiple violent prior convictions followed by an assault caught on video and back out on the streets in less time than the victim spends in the E.R system doesn’t work.

If you want to save some money, give the convicted murders three appeals in 24 months then off to the wall.

grahler

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes I get that.
I understand that a person is not guilty however they have been charged.
I don’t wanna see money pissed away but imo money spent keeping criminals off the streets is money well spent.

rhpierce

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

Except that in places like Illinois, it includes offenses up to and including 2nd degree murder, aggravated robbery, etc.

So it isn't just "nonviolent" offenses. And yes, now you bring up the, "well, it's still left up to the judge and he/she can..." But the reality is that it won't play out that way - that judge's decision will factor in to an appeal..."well, my client was accused of a crime that allows for release, but the judge would not do so, which gave prejudice before the trial even started..."

And do you really think that release will help? You think they will show up for their court dates? Or do we now start getting charges piled on top of charges and put even MORE work on police and compound the issues?

My godson's killer has been out with no trial yet for 2.5 to 3 years...working, living his life with no consequence while my godson's body is rotting in the ground. For all I know his killer has picked up another DUI in the intervening time. You think that isn't a slap in the face to his family? And that is with the current bail system...you want that even more widespread?

Scobrey

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Colorado, skillfully avoiding the liberal plague
I'm in an odd place on this one. When bail is applicable, I'd rather see more standardized amounts and those be cash to the courts, you get it back when you appear minus any fees/fines. Screw making bondmen rich from working out deals with bottomfeeders. It's supposed to do two things, one keep the public safe from a threat and two act as insurance to come to court. Have a no show/failure to appear, no bond. Commit a violent act, high bond and strict/specific conditions (gps, alcohol monitor, drug tests etc). I see no need for a lot of the non-violent often first time offenders to sit in jail and me pay for them to eat and have better healthcare than they would provide for themselves.
Any crime that shocks the conscience should be held on "reasonable" yet non-attainable amounts.
Bail is not meant to be punitive and is in almost all cases, a right of the offender. Held without is not as simple as it sounds, gonna be a hearing involved in that.
A lot of folks that work and scratch by don't make bail and lose it all. A lot of non-working pieces of chit miraculously make bail, sometimes high ones. Many of those are the ones supposedly kept down by the racist system.
I hate to use the word reform, so let's say the system needs an overhaul.

molliesmaster

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Courts and attorneys waved goodbye to common sense and now spend their time using fancy jargon and technicalities to free criminals and waste precious court time.

Stop the loophole bullcrap, shoot the people on death row, and quit letting repeat offenders out. Heck, if you really wanna fix things, let's start chopping some hands off. Ask the asians how effective that is.

Latest posts