Washington Flyway Forum Sponsors

Enforcement Poll

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by D3Smartie, Jan 28, 2021.

Do you support harsher penalties for waterfowl violations

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Honkerclan08

Honkerclan08 Washington forum Moderator

I say no. I think we need more in field education. I think if the wardens presence is felt more often and seen in the field, that would help but I’m thinking they have bigger issues to worry about than a duck at the end of the day. Big game poaching is a much higher fine and its endless.

2. camano gibby

camano gibby Elite Refuge Member

It's all a moot point if raising fines and penalties would actually lower game violations as long as the boots on the ground encounters by Mr green jeans continues to diminish
    Todays crop of wardens rarely put on waders, climb in a boat, and venture too far from their warm F150 pickup, thermos of coffee, and laptop.

As long as you are legal when you get back to the boat launch or designated parking lot, the chance of getting busted is nil.
    The threat of getting a ticket is what keeps most of us on a even keel.......not the amount of said ticket.

LEO'S...............JUST GET OUT OF THE TRUCK

Hookup and wingmatt like this.
  3. WYtransplant

WYtransplant Elite Refuge Member

Lack of enforcement is biggest issue. There are three total LEO'S Mason , Kitsap, Jefferson, Callalam.
    No way they can cover that much ground proper.
    Then when talking to WDFW LEO the other day biggest issue they are having is prosecuters won't prosocute even on solid high level cases. They will reduce fines and or drop cases. So even if they were upped the prosocuters would have to follow through on their end.
    Feel bad for the LEO'S to bust their asses to make a case that gets reduced or dropped. Said it is causing high attrition.

robberelite96, saltdux and D3Smartie like this.
  4. mrbill

mrbill Elite Refuge Member

Shades of Seattle! Sounds like the whole cotton pickin state is using the same playbook. If the laws that are already in place aren’t going to be enforced new ones are just going to be a waste of time. Can’t blame the Leo’s for moving on.

Green Duck Truck likes this.
  5. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Elite Refuge Member

Thats a fact Rick and definitely factors into the equation.

6. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

I have hunted the Nisqually for over 20 years, almost exclusively. About 12-15 trips per season. I have been checked in the field once out of a total of 4 times being checked. One time I was checked ONLY because Inslee was having a fundraiser at the home of a wealthy Oyster farm owner and wanted to make some political statement (blah blah blah) and they used Luhr Beach as a parking lot and WDFW made sure it was patrolled so that none of the donors had issues. The guys that checked me (evidently desk jockeys) had trouble IDing birds.

It also seems like there is an us vs. them. Most (vast majority) of hunters and fishermen want to preserve the resource and create a sporting fun trip. But when the LEO makes it into "I am mr. detective trying to find your violation" it just creates a bad taste. Wouldn't it be nice to be considered innocent instead of guilty having to prove your innocence? Some guys have the attitude that they are partners with the true sportsmen and will get after the poachers, but others make you wonder if they couldn't get the real police job they wanted so they think they are on Miami vice with green jeans. For the record the one guy who came out and checked me in the field on the Nisqually was a great warden and I think an advocate for the hunters on the Nisqually. But I suspect he is now retired as I have not seen a boat out checking people on the Nisqually in over 15 years.

More fines will just be an added tax as they ticky tack sportsmen for not bending the barb down far enough or punishing them for the hen pintail that came in with the wigeon that they had the gonads to keep instead of mud stomping it because they didn't want to waste the bird.

I think we will have bigger fish to fry in the next 10 years than wildlife enforcement.

7. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

If you hunt on JBLM it is a real crapshoot as to who does what. If it is an MP in a sedan he is gonna check your passes maybe, but maybe just wave because he does not want to cause trouble that he might get in trouble for. If it is an MP Sargent you will want to listen to what he asks and answer exactly what he asked. He wants to fill out his report and move on. He will be overbearing and loud but if you answer correctly he wants to move on too. Then you got the DOD guys. 190 lb officer with 65 lbs of equipment. After 9/11 a lot of money was put into them. They got tasers, AR15s, new pickups with the light bar inside. They do the most actual checking but not sharp on waterfowl stuff. But they will always check your license and firearm registration. Nice guys for the most part. Very rare to see a State Game officer, they are all down at Nisqually. Fed Game officers I have seen once in 35 years. Very nice man. Always a bit of a crapshoot.

8. saltdux

saltdux Elite Refuge Member

Hunting violations are rampant. This season is particularly worse w/ many more people active in the outdoors and enforcement spread even thinner. I say roast the ones that get caught because they are often the most flagrant violators. F*ck the fines as it does little to deter...take away their boats, guns, trucks then their hunting and/or fishing privileges-- then post their names in public so we can recognize their posts and FB/IG profiles as the poaching *******s they really are.

9. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Elite Refuge Member

The shame magazine like we have discussed Dave would be fantastic

10. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

That would be super cool but I don’t think people care anymore. Guys poach, hunt spots illegally and everything in between, the they get their name blasted and in week are back up posting on Facebook.