Engineering Design need input!!!

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Stephen Bovia, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Stephen Bovia

Stephen Bovia New Member

Hey, I am an engineering student at LA Tech University and I am an avid duck hunter I know that mojo already came out with the motion decoy that turns on with a remote, but I was thinking of taking it a little further. I want to implement either a sensor or a Bluetooth device that connects to an app on your phone. This app or sensor will have the decoy turn on around 15 min before shooting light. If anyone has any other ideas I’m all ears!! But this is the best that I could come up with at the moment.

2. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

I’d suggest engineering it to turn on about 2 minutes before the ducks show up!!! :yes

3. Stephen Bovia

Stephen Bovia New Member

Yea, if it was possible that would be the best way to do it.

4. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

I'll be needing a royalty agreement first.

Out of focus likes this.
  5. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member

You're going to write an app and attach Bluetooth to a mojo? Ambitious project.
    I suggest building a potato gun like every other engineering student and switch schools to Illinois, MIT, or Stanford.

6. BGcorey

BGcorey Senior Refuge Member

Controlling multiple Decoys separately would be nice.

7. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

The signal needs to go from phone to remote control. Not to mojo. Should be easy.

8. Duck Enticer

Duck Enticer Elite Refuge Member

I'm a civil engineer. Work with an electrical engineer. We had some depth and flow sensors that were placed on bridges. They were bluetooth. We used raspberry pi's to make it work. Uploaded the data from the pi straight through bluetooth to a web based app. I was thinking the same thing you are about this type of decoy. It seems the stuff on the market is about 20 years behind.

Old fashioned frequency wireless remotes should work well. They still have to be wired to power source somehow. The challenges come in keeping the receiver dry. They short easy and don't have great range. Might have the same trouble with the bluetooth concept.

You could get the technology from some other application and borrow it for the decoy. I've made decoys out of remote control boats and cars before. Made my own remote control out of waterproof wire run from the decoy to a homemade toggle switch.

Wireless is the way to go though. For submersible dekes how to keep it all dry and powered are the main issues.

I love tomales my own stuff PM me if you want to talk offline.

9. Catahoula County

Catahoula County New Member