essential doctrines of Christianity

bwurts

Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the essential doctrines of Christianity? what is required? what is not required? and what beliefs would disqualify you from being a Christian

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pretty simple. This isn't bad as an overview:

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you pretty well covers it.
I'm not planning on lopping any heads off
that's a different culture totally.

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
What are the essential doctrines of Christianity? what is required? what is not required? and what beliefs would disqualify you from being a Christian
The apostles creed covers the essential doctrines. The most thorough read is the catechism of the Catholic Church. It explains every belief through tradition and scripture. The Baltimore catechism is a simpler version designed for children.

molliesmaster

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I feel like you could sum it up a lot quicker with "faith in Jesus as your Savior." I'm not gonna run around and cherry-pick some verses out of the Bible to prove my point, but I know I could. It's really not as complex as we seem to make it. Recognize you're a sinner, accept Jesus as your savior, and let your life be changed by his teachings, they are well documented.

byf41

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Being born again is required, For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works lest any man should boast. Ehp. 2: 8-9.
Jesus paid the price for your salvation 2000 years ago, you get saved by repenting and trusting in his sacrifice by your faith and his grace.

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It looks like a good way to get back to a conversation about "why so many denominations".

The religious leaders of the day asked Jesus what the two greatest commandments were, that's a start, but what does it mean to love God with all your heart, soul and mind?

We live in a "church" culture that makes a greater effort to conform to this world rather than being transformed by God. Things that are obviously unacceptable in the scripture are deemed as acceptable by some today. People want to change the rules to fit what makes them comfortable. Some want the changes just out of a lack of understanding while others make changes to gain power, wealth or control.

I didn't know what a catechism is nor an apostles creed until I just looked them up after reading this thread. It kind of made me think of that 5 finger thing I learned in sunday school when I was a kid, "hearing, believing, repenting, being immersed, living a Godly life. I don't believe it ever mentioned anything about "I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat......depart from me, I never knew you."

What does it mean to believe? it's not really something we can capture in a few phrases, yet is very simple at the same time.

When you read scripture do you ask God to speak to you or is it just to accomplish a task. Is it just to run around and proof text your position or are you trying to learn more about God's will for your life? Is it something that we use to bang each other over the head or a way to lead others to Christ.

Deny yourself and follow Jesus. Now that's the tough part.

Latest posts