Ever shoot a pet duck while hunting?

David O

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Years ago, a former blind partner bagged a Muscovy that decoyed into the spread.

David

WaterFoulHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG, what a memory. Years ago, while hunting Otay in the San Diego Lakes program, six “park ducks” swam into the decoys. The co-worker I was hunting with jumped up and sluiced them shouting,” Score on the big ducks. Yah!”

I tried to shame him but he insisted that I was just jealous because they were bigger than my birds.

drahthaarducker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I had a flock of mallards coming in off the Chesapeake Bay and killed an all white duck out of the flock.

Triple BB

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sort of. I was jump shooting ducks on a creek at my buddies place. Came around the corner and a mallard drake tried flying but couldn't get off the water. Got to looking and realized his foot was caught in a floating muskrat trap. I waded out, got the bird, and let him go...

noweil

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My old hunting partner was a straight up meat hunter. Grew up dirt poor. WWII vet. Always worked and was extremely frugal. He used to float a local river in a row boat to shoot ducks. He never told me this story, but multiple other people have. He was floating the river by some cottages east of town. He shot the peoples pet duck. When the people started yelling at him, he offered to give them the duck.

1911king

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yup. With a (925) area code phone number on the band. Im certain the other two mallards I shot on that triple weren’t pets

Fogie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy who kayaks Lake Mojave (Colorado River) jump shooting National Recreation Area ducks, the same ducks that mooch and swim over my lines following the boat while out trolling stripers and I chase away with a super-soaker.
He says he spots them, then stands up while pretending to throw cheetohs or something in the water and they come flying into his gun.
Not sure if he and they truly do that but he shoots effortless all greenhead limits on that lake and he wonders why I wouldn’t want to partake of the same.

I taught him the right way but he has gone astray, I feel badly….make fun of his park ducks.

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score
Years ago while dove hunting, shot a pet pigeon named Free Bird.

Latest posts