Ever shoot a pet duck while hunting?

Dek

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Years ago club mates shot 3 one morning at our club in the delta. Not far away was a mobile home park. I had missing posters made and put them at out "clubhouse" and their blind. It read something like-Missing-LuLu, Butterscotch and Sugar Lipls. If you have seen our beloved pet ducks please call....We laughed about it for some time.

Labsforme

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wellll sort of. I was trout fishing at Lake Sherwood in SoCal in the 70s and a greenhead waddled by tempting me. I pulled a bottle of salmon eggs out and threw and hit it in the back of the head. Stone dead. Lake manager came over ( knew us by name) and said get rid of that thing. Hurried up and put it away in my Jeep.

Name withheld to protect the guilty.

Last edited:

Stoo

Reaction score
My blind partner shot a pet mallard with a ziptie band at a refuge. The bird was 1/3 bigger than all the other mallards we shot. He posted it on an instagram band page and ended up finding the owner!

circlehooker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
About 25 years ago we had a group of mallards come in at first light, the two of us pulled up and we killed 4 out of the group. The dogs were out retrieving and the last bird they retrieved was some kind of mallard X farm duck. Black and brown with a large white ring around his neck with a green head and bill. He was flying with regular mallards.

Calikev

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I shot one at Volta on opening weekend one time. They actually told me it was a hybrid and I had the stupid thing mounted. Years later someone let me know it was part Muscovy. I guess that is a hybrid lol

Latest posts