Ever wanted to throw your reloader out the window

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well I started to load up some 3" 20 gauge Bismuth today but came to a screeching halt. Had tested function of shot drop and powder drop independently of each other while weighing each to get proper drops. Neither time were both bottles full, only one at a time. Well started my powder drop on 600 and slid to get shot drop. Got the powder but no shot came out. Dumped hull and tried again, found out latter I was getting bridging in drop tube and made a hell of a spill once finally came out. At about that point i,m rethinking about loading versus buying shells to put it mildly! Well I calmed down and did a little research and ordered a steel shot conversion kit to hopefully solve issue. Hopefully...

Fogie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
...gave everything away on Craiglist except my bullet puller and digital scale

Dr Swane

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
28gauge and 410 are tedious to load at times. My 28gauge loader will be looking for a new home if I upgrade to a
newer 9000. The 12gauge is so nice compared to the others.

If shot bridges, or has the possibility of bridging, I tap the drop tube with a carpenters pencil until I watch the wad fill before I fully release the handle. Larger shot likes to bridge in the smaller drop tubes. My mec900 .410 only likes lead 8’s or 9’s run through it.

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
28gauge and 410 are tedious to load at times. My 28gauge loader will be looking for a new home if I upgrade to a
newer 9000. The 12gauge is so nice compared to the others.

If shot bridges, or has the possibility of bridging, I tap the drop tube with a carpenters pencil until I watch the wad fill before I fully release the handle. Larger shot likes to bridge in the smaller drop tubes. My mec900 .410 only likes lead 8’s or 9’s run through it.
Didn,t think i,d have a problem with the bismuth 4,s in original blk. plastic drop tube but for some reason they are hanging up when I slide bar from powder drop to shot drop. Had no issues when testing and powder bottle wasn,t full so not 100% sure just whats going on. Same thing with powder it worked fine as long as shot bottle wasn,t full when testing. Hoping drop tube changed to metal will solve issues. Screwed up wad pressure along the way and caused more issues trying to get wad to seat deep enough to allow material for proper crimp.

Doug E

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes. But then I remember this.....with correct setups and components, the machine is supposed to create factory quality shells - so that is when I figure out I am trying to make the machine do something it isn't set up to do and like you make the appropriate adjustments/retooling etc. Then we start cranking out beautiful ammo again and all is right with the world - like getting a leg lamp as a major award....

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Didn,t think i,d have a problem with the bismuth 4,s in original blk. plastic drop tube but for some reason they are hanging up when I slide bar from powder drop to shot drop. Had no issues when testing and powder bottle wasn,t full so not 100% sure just whats going on. Same thing with powder it worked fine as long as shot bottle wasn,t full when testing. Hoping drop tube changed to metal will solve issues. Screwed up wad pressure along the way and caused more issues trying to get wad to seat deep enough to allow material for proper crimp.

I load hard #6's through my 9000 for pigeons , it's a 3/4oz load with 15.5 of Longshot !
My load now as I recuperate from shoulder surgery is , 5/8 oz of 8 1/2's with 11.4 of Green dot !
Both of these load really smooth with Ched hulls and AAHS .

Soggy Socks

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Last night with my 9000 12. The drop tube for shot was too low to easily insert the wads then I had a wad get hung up on the case mouth and shot went all over . Vacced it all up and settled down and loaded a couple hundred for today.

Buster_AZ

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well I started to load up some 3" 20 gauge Bismuth today but came to a screeching halt. Had tested function of shot drop and powder drop independently of each other while weighing each to get proper drops. Neither time were both bottles full, only one at a time. Well started my powder drop on 600 and slid to get shot drop. Got the powder but no shot came out. Dumped hull and tried again, found out latter I was getting bridging in drop tube and made a hell of a spill once finally came out. At about that point i,m rethinking about loading versus buying shells to put it mildly! Well I calmed down and did a little research and ordered a steel shot conversion kit to hopefully solve issue. Hopefully...
The steel conversion kit greatly improved my old 600, so hope it works for you as well. Tapping the dropper can also help prevent bridging.

Latest posts