Ever wanted to throw your reloader out the window

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The steel conversion kit greatly improved my old 600, so hope it works for you as well. Tapping the dropper can also help prevent bridging.
Have you done any Bismuth reloading with lead shot bars ? I,m using a lead shot bar tapped a bit to throw the shot as I thought Bismuth could be used with them. Wondering if I should have bought a steel shot bar capable of throwing 1 1/8 oz. Bismuth 4,s while I was at it.

Buster_AZ

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Have you done any Bismuth reloading with lead shot bars ? I,m using a lead shot bar tapped a bit to throw the shot as I thought Bismuth could be used with them. Wondering if I should have bought a steel shot bar capable of throwing 1 1/8 oz. Bismuth 4,s while I was at it.
I have an old 1.125 oz lead bar that drops 1 oz of bismuth. This is on a MEC from the 1960’s that was well used and I restored it during the covid lockdown.

Billy hill

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Buster is talking about tapping the drop tube to get the shot to drop. I think you are talking about using tape to reduce the volume in the 1 3/8 th bar to drop a little less bismuth. You want the biggest diameter drop tube that let's you seat your wad properly. #4 bismuth can be problematic in 12ga. Even more so in 20ga

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Buster is talking about tapping the drop tube to get the shot to drop. I think you are talking about using tape to reduce the volume in the 1 3/8 th bar to drop a little less bismuth. You want the biggest diameter drop tube that let's you seat your wad properly. #4 bismuth can be problematic in 12ga. Even more so in 20ga
Yea , I understood what he meant by taping drop tube as that was first thing I tried when problem started. Tube in it is black plastic one that i,ve used a lot loading 2 3/4"20 gauge lead target and hunting loads few years back. Trying to put a little pressure on wad seat, about 40 lbs. Tube comes completely out of wad seating assembly. Didn,t see anything that needed to be done to that station in 3" conversion instructions when I changed it over to load these 3" shells. I,m guessing steel shot tube may be longer and of course a bit slicker inside.

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Finally got the Steel shot conversion kit installed in my Mec 600. Shot bridging stopped completely. That bigger inside diameter drop tube did the trick. Had to reset final crimp station. Still not quite satisfied with crimp, little swirl, adjusted cam a bit after I got first 5 loaded without foobobs. Hopefully run those thru gun and see how my 20 patterns them over weekend. Chasin thunder chickens now.