Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

Experience with DM

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Click, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

What I actually wrote was, "By limiting breedings to clear x clear, which produces only clear pups, or carrier x clear breedings that produce no worse than carrier pups, the disease could eventually be eliminated."

I've no qualms, whatsoever, about carrier x clear breedings. My current Chessie was knowingly out of such.

2. mihobe

mihobe Senior Refuge Member

I understood that, just filling in some of the gaps of info that hadn't been addressed

3. Click

Click Senior Refuge Member

Progress update.
    We are now seeing more knuckling under of the rear feet. Not super substantial yet but noticable for me.

Still a subject I can't talk about without choking up. Getting ready to get to work on blinds etc..and trying to come to terms with things.

My better half got on him tonight... what's he eating? I replied he can eat whatever the FXCK he wants lol.

Still comfortable and activity is more or less normal. He's still really good with our twin boys, very tolerant and gentle.

4. Click

IMG_20210801_213444031.jpg IMG_20210801_213444031.jpg

5. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Elite Refuge Member

That’s rough, I’m sorry to hear that…

6. Click

Status update.
    He's losing a little more stability of his hind legs. Still able to get around alright though on any soft surfaces or anything with traction. Threw a few bumpers for him last weekend and he definitely still has the drive but the coordination is slipping.

Few more weeks and we will try to get the old fella a few dove on a cooler day. I honestly don't know if it would be easier on him to retrieve on water or land...

FriedPotatoes likes this.
  7. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Elite Refuge Member

He’s got a great owner to take great care of him through this. I know it’s unconscionable to those of us who care for our pets, but a lot of people would get rid at the first sign of trouble..

8. Click

Well we've gotten him out on two dove hunts now. Tonight's was a fairly good one. He was 25/25 tonight. But the heat, combined with his excitement and DM was a little much. Had to bench him for a little bit to give his legs a rest, so he'd cool down an all his marbles wouldn't roll out. He's always been a fool for a good dove shoot.

After his first trip this year I thought he'd be perty sore an tender, but the next 4 or 5 days he seemed 4 years younger. We'll see what happens tomorrow.. I believe he's going to be a little pooped. IMG_20210912_193048413.jpg

Fogie and orangelegs73 like this.
  9. Click

He's definitely more banged up an stiff tonight. He hasn't ran or even walked semi normally since our last hunt. He must have landed on the cement we have zero pads on our front paws which I know is why he is tender footed on his front legs. He's been spoiled with living inside but, he's earned it lol.

10. Click

Starting to realize our days in the blind are numbered now.. thinking he's got two more hunts till retirement.